How to replace the rack on the da?

Is there a post on how to change the whole rack on the subframe? I would like to change it and get new bushings.its been awhile since it had gotten fix. I’m tired of the sloppy feel.

Anybody knows the step to do this?

I would recommend a haynes manual or fsm to help you through it. Basically you safely lift the front of the car and support with stands, remove wheels, remove outer tie rods, remove line cover if present, disconnect lines at rack. Inside the car, remove the plastic cover around the bottom of the column and take the pinch bolt out of the steering joint. Now you are ready to unbolt the rack and slide it out. If i recall after you drop it down enough to slide out of the column it slides to one side then comes out the bottom of the car. Might need to remove the sway bar for clearance, can’t remember.

Also, before you go to all that work, are you sure the sloppy feel is in the rack? Check the tie rods, rack is usually only changed if it’s leaking.

I replaced the outer tie rods. I took it to a shop and they said it was bad because when they lift the car on its front lca they were able to move the rack a inch or so left and right. Anybody ever been through this?

Thanks for the info

[QUOTE=iNTEG;2312510]I replaced the outer tie rods. I took it to a shop and they said it was bad because when they lift the car on its front lca they were able to move the rack a inch or so left and right. Anybody ever been through this?

Thanks for the info[/QUOTE]

I went through quite a bit with my rack, there are a few places for it to give small amounts of play.
First was my tie rods, then it ended up being the lower snap ring for the pinion.
The biggest difference was made replacing the passenger seal, and plastic bushing inside that pushes against a spring to keep the seal in place.
It could even be the bearings for the pinion or the pinion itself, but doubtful.

I normally take the exhaust and shift linkage down, remove the tie rods, disconnect from steering column, and then work it to one side and angle it down.
There’s probably an easier way

H okay I got y’all, I’ll just have to give it a try