How to Restore OEM Arm Rest Padding

Here is a way to restore worn out padding in the OEM arm rest when it looks like this.

The padding had lost its shape because it has disintegrated.

Carefully remove all the foam and contain the mess. Clean the fabric cover in the washing machine with the dark clothes (machine wash cold, permanent press, mild detergent, softener, tumble dry low). Clean off the top shell with warm water and dish soap.

Obtain the following:

• Loctite Vinyl, Fabric & Plastic Flexible Adhesive
  • 1" thick heavy duty foam
  • 2 plastic pinch clip pant/skirt hangers
[img]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7446/12723732955_99791ed776.jpg[/img]

Glue one end of the foam to the front of the shell, letting it dry until its set (30-60 min).

Fold the foam back onto the shell while letting the fold extend forward to fill the front of the cover.

Work the foam into the cover starting from the front. Take your time, making sure it fills out right.

Fold the foam over the back, and cut the excess foam that extends below the shell.

Carefully work the rest of the cover over the back.

Starting from the back, glue the cover to the inside of the shell, and use the clips from the hanger as clamps while you let it set and dry (30-60 min).

After that dries, move on and do the sides, making sure it’s pulled evenly.

And with the second set of clips, finish off the front.

After it’s completely set and dry (30-60 min), replace the inlay. Be careful screwing everything back in. Remember that the plastic in our cars are over 20 years old, with exposure to extreme cold, heat, humidity and vibration. Go slow, and once the screw bottoms out, make it snug but don’t crank it too tight.

Take the same care when attaching the cover back to the arm rest bracket, and you’re done!

Final Notes:
I did not glue the foam to the top shell in any other place but the very front. The reason I did this was to have the flexibility to work the foam into the cover to properly fill out the front overhang. Time will tell if I should have should have done that.

I obtained the heavy duty foam from Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft store. It’s meant for this type of application. I took the top shell into the store to have them cut the width of the bottom part of the shell, and about twice the length of the shell. You might want this extra length in case you mess up.