Importance of LSD at road courses?

Early in my build i was more focused on autocross, which demands low speed traction and corner exit capability, so i sourced a transaxle with an OEM Honda limited slip differential (LSD). This unit works wonders and is highly effective and seamless at both low and high speed.

However, i am now almost exclusively doing NASA time trials (like time attack or super lap) at large circuits like summit point and VIR. The LSD is assessed 3 points in the classing scheme, which is the equivalent of carrying 45 pounds of ballast, or running a 205 tire instead of a 225 tire, ect.

I have just minor bolt-ons (I/H/E), not even tuned (running 87 pump). I am wondering is the LSD is important at this power level at a large track. I’ve never tracked the integra without the LSD, and my previous cars all had LSD. I know LSD makes a big difference at autocross, but do you think it’s worth the penalty for road course competition?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

That’s a great question and you may just need to test it to see what which is more important - the LSD or some other mods you could do with those points. I had only run my car on a tight course (Streets of Willow) without an LSD and it was fairly miserable. LOTS of wheelspin. Given this was very early when I started tracking my car and it was with an LS motor and short geared YS1 trans. I now have an OEM LSD and the difference is immense. However I can’t compare what the difference would be on a much larger track.

From talking with friends though they all rave about LSD’s, specifically the clutch type like OS Giken and MFactory. Apparently this is a HUGE improvement over the OEM unit. I haven’t tried one of these clutch types so apparently I don’t know what I’m missing…

By short geared YS1, do you mean the OEM LS trans or a GSR/B16 equivalent trans?

[QUOTE=Colin;2314651]That’s a great question and you may just need to test it to see what which is more important - the LSD or some other mods you could do with those points. I had only run my car on a tight course (Streets of Willow) without an LSD and it was fairly miserable. LOTS of wheelspin. Given this was very early when I started tracking my car and it was with an LS motor and short geared YS1 trans. I now have an OEM LSD and the difference is immense. However I can’t compare what the difference would be on a much larger track.

From talking with friends though they all rave about LSD’s, specifically the clutch type like OS Giken and MFactory. Apparently this is a HUGE improvement over the OEM unit. I haven’t tried one of these clutch types so apparently I don’t know what I’m missing…[/QUOTE]

I mean the short geared YS1. All 92-93 Integra transmissions were labeled “YS1” regardless of the trim level. However the rs/ls/gs trim levels had tall gearing while the GS-R trim had a short gearing almost identical to that of an ITR transmission. Short gears + LS engine with low end torque = lots of wheelspin. I have since upgraded to a YS1 case with full 4.7fd ITR internals inside.

Additionally, the OBD1 XSi’s (B16a) from Japan also came with the YS1 transmission (same gearing as the US GS-R) however they were available with an optional LSD.

Thank you Colin!