In car PC/mp3 player....

just the one time fee of buying it then…

but to have it on a pc you have to be linked to the internet right, so areas with no service would suck lol

G2sleeperstyle: i don’t have any problem of hard disk inside computer, even I mount my computer vertical by the sub box now. However, i’m using the notebook hard disk, becoz of the power comsumtion.

XcLuSiVTRM: The GPS is free, just need to buy the hardware (GPS reveiver). But you need to buy the GPS software in order to make it work. There are some GPS software out there, i choose CoPoilt becoz it’s easy to read in the little screen. I also have other mapping software inside my PC. Just in case the CoPoilt can’t find the street. Beside, it doesn’t need internet service to get the GPS working.

I can post more detail spec of it if you guys interest.

OK first of all, let me say that is a sweet setup!

Second, have you ever had any probs with the computer being mounted 8"s away from giant vibrating magnets?

Yeah can you supply details (How To) on here or email me @ Rockit1st@aol.com thanks

Have any pictures on what wires you ran where? What sort of video cable plugs into your LCD? Do you have an auxilary input that you switch to on your in dash unit to get sound?

hey guys,
I’m out of town in this weekend. I will get back for those question on Mon.

i’m using Archos AV320. It can store up to 20 gig of mp3, mpeg and pics. I have a alpine cva-1005 in my car so I just plug the device into audio/video aux of the alpine tuner box which is under my car seat. I like it very much becuz first thing first, it wont get stolen since i take it with me.

There’s different versions of Archos jukeboxes. Some go up to 120 gigs. It comes with a remote also.

Yea! i’ve been wondering this as well… but the magnets always make me cringe… so my laptop just ends up on my passenger seat whenever i wanna use it for such things…

BTW:… sweet piece of software :up: thanks!

http://users.skynet.be/media-car/software.html

Dare i ask where you got the honda skin?

how much do they charge for the internet using your cell phone?

Also what’s the model of the lcd screen? is it touch screen?

Do you have a link to where you got the co-pilot software? Also do you know if it has maps for canada? I am really interested in this, and have a Via Epia M-12000 laying on my desk right now…

As for the theme, after a little digging i believe i was able to find it. Here is the Theme

IdntGlwIglisten: I don’t have any pic of the wiring. I just ran my wire from the truck to the front, and hide the wire under the seat and carpet. (since I already have the amp in the rear, so no need to run the power line again). As for the LCD, mine is just the regular LCD with RCA input. No touch screen yet. But will upgrade soon with VGA and touch screen. Beside I had the PIE aux. input for alpine headunit, and I still can switch back if i want to listen CD from my changer. :slight_smile:

XtReMe98: I get my skin as Mica’s found. However, I do modified 2 of the different skin. I can post some screen shot of them if you wanna see it.

latin_racer: T-mobile had free data transfer on the cell phone, just use your own ISP and use the phone as the modem. However, the speed is sux, only 9.6kb/s.

Mica: For the CoPilot, it does come with Canadian Maps, but according to the their web site, it said it’s optional. So I donno do they need to pay extra for that or not. And i got it from MP3car.com. Seems the lowest price i could found on the web.

Carbon Teg: For building a car computer, basically is like building a desktop computer. However, the main concern of the system is the power, and the heat problem. I choose Epia M-10000 motherboard becoz it already have the rca output for the computer and the low power consumption, also the size is small for that motherboard also. So if you build a system b4, it’s pretty stright forward. just need to get an DC-DC power supply and a ITPS. ITPS is a module with a on/off controller, and a 12v regulator. Some people may tell you to get a OPUS power supply, since it gives the ability to withstand the voltage drop during an engine crank without rebooting the PC. But i just think spending over $150 just for the power supply is not worth it.
Also using a notebook HD and optical drive not only can lower the power comsumption on the system, it also give you some better shock resistant then the regular desktop HD.

After you built your sytem, you may need to choose the LCD display. If money is not a factor, pick the VGA with Touch screen display, it will gives you sharper image and touch screen feature while it’s important when you are driving and wanna switch to another song or key in the address. Otherwise, you can just get a regular LCD display with a touchpad. It’s alot cheaper and somehow, it works for me.

For more detail, you can drop me a line here or to my email: yicng@yahoo.com

Hope this help guys. :wink:

www.mobile-blackbox.com is worth a look for anyone considering this kind of project.