In car PC/mp3 player....

A couple of years ago I think I read information on how to go about doing this. ( external hard drive, LCD etc.) Anyone have this info?

i have seen this done on a Silverado and i could swear it was done on a teg, too, but i don’t remember details. nothing turned up when i SEARCHED for it…

I have a computer hooked up in my car. I did that because I need a GPS so bad, and i figure out, buying a complete GPS system is more expensive then using a computer, plus I can play mp3 and other movie files.
Anyway, here are some pics i took. Just give you a general idea. :cross:

Front End:

GPS:

MP3:

Touch Pad:

Computer:

Let me know if you want to have more infomation.

:drool: :drool: How much was that setup? do tell :smiley:

:up: awesome

:werd:

cool! :rockon:

It would be the shit to hook up one of those mobil interenet services like they got for laptops so you could get online from inside your ride.

how much did that computer setup run you?

most cell phone providers have some sort of plug in modem that lets you run your laptop’s net off the phone as long as you have signal.

Well…since i already had the screen before i put my computer in, so i spend about 400 for the computer itself. That include the powersupply, motherboard, case, a slim drive, touchpad, GPS reciever, and some cables…
Of course, you could use your old computer’s parts, and it will be cheaper.
As for the internet access, i had a bluetooth adapter, which i can connect to the web using my cell when I need to get online. Of course, you could add a wireless card, and go online.

Did you write the OS, or buy something?

:tsk: im still rocking my old school samsung thats like 4 years old, no internet
hook up… didnt even think of that

The computer is running Win XP Pro. I just use a software call Media Car as front end…

I went the cheap and easy route last year. Get a Rio Karma (or any other iPod-like device). Put all your mp3s on it and buy a Blitzsafe or PIE cable to connect it to your headunit (if it doesn’t already have an AUX on the front). The screen is a little small to read in the car, but the advantage of the Karma is it has a cradle I can drop it into and play directly to my Onkyo stereo at home so I can keep all the tunes in one place and play them anywhere. :dance:

i have onkyo also. 2 15" subs in the system…:drool: shook the house before my brother blew 1 up :bang: its still loud though.

Just curious yicng, have you had problems with the hard drive on the computer. I’ve been looking into a computer in the car but a lot of people have had problems in the long run with their hard drives failing due to the ‘bumps’ they encounter in the roads. Also was cooling an issue for the cpu?

well… seeing as how he has his mounted on top a sub box, i dont think a few road bumps will harm it :shrug:

how much was that copilot, and do you pay a monthly subscription price?

That is so hot.

edit: archivethis

there is no fee for gps