Inner tie rod and balljoint tapped

Im trying to fit the nuts back in and they just won’t go! i hammered the bottom of the bolts on both, now it is tapped, what should i do???

Please be more specific. Which nuts are you talking about? There are no nuts on the inner tierod. Are you talking about the castle nut on the lower ball joint and the OUTER tierod?

You shouldn’t be hammering those nuts in the first place… please provide pics or explain more specifically of what you’re talking about…

yeah the 2 castle nuts lower ball joint and outer tie rod my mistake, i was changing my axel on the passengers side now i cannot get the two castle nuts back in, should i re tap it with a tool and die set?

Try grinding the tappered part down with a small file to the where you can slowly screw the nut back on and if that doesn’t work then I guess your only choice is to tap it with a die set…

For future reference… you’re supposed to hit the round part of the arm where the ball joint/outer tierod sits in NOT the balljoint/tierod itself. If you must hit the balljoint/tierod, leave the castle nut on the bolt so it doesn’t mess up the threading…

[QUOTE=hybrid90;2022615]Try grinding the tappered part down with a small file to the where you can slowly screw the nut back on and if that doesn’t work then I guess your only choice is to tap it with a die set…
[/QUOTE]

What if it’s a couple threads up, then you’d be grinding a significant amount off of the stud, no thanks.

You’ve got the right idea OP, just use a tap and die and you’ll be fine.

[QUOTE=mrpenny;2022650]What if it’s a couple threads up, then you’d be grinding a significant amount off of the stud, no thanks.

You’ve got the right idea OP, just use a tap and die and you’ll be fine.[/QUOTE]

Well that method is for a few threads being damaged… not for all the way up on the bolt… the OP should have an idea of how far up to grind. Plus the ball joints/tierod bolts on our cars have a lot of thread left even after the castle nut is tightened…

OP… use your judgement and go from there…