install vafc

any susgestions/people who have done it please leave feed back on performance and ease of installation

If you are good with wiring stuff, installation isn’t that hard. The hardest part for me was trying to figure out where I was going to put it. I ended up putting it right under the ash tray on the center console. I do recommend you read the instructions CAREFULLY. Make sure to disconnect your battery as well as the ECU before doing any wiring. Also, I recommend you solder all of your connections. I’ve heard of a few people having crimped connections coming undone or being “intermittent” because they were loose. Install time for me is about 1 hour.

how do you tune the damn thing :confused:

okay, flame away, but although i have amassed a good bit of information about cars, i still have no clue what a vafc or safc is. i’m assuming it’s some kind of controller, maybe for VTEC??

V- VTEC
A- Air
F- Fuel
C- Controller

The proper way to tune it is on the dyno. However changing the VTEC x-over is very simple. Just don’t do what many people do and set VTEC too low. That doesn’t make more power, in fact it can hurt power.

As far as after installation, make sure you initialize the V-AFC. In the ETC menu, set the cylinders to 4, the throttle type to /, sensors to 6 in and 6 out. Then go to sensor check and press on the gas fully for 15 seconds, then release for 15 seconds. This will set your throttle position. Make sure you go to the monitor menu and step on the throttle all the way again. It should say 100%. If it doesn’t, repeat the sensor check procedure.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

so what’s safc stand for?

S- Super
A- Air
F- Fuel
C- Controller

And I’m not making this up.

Originally posted by G2guru
[B]S- Super
A- Air
F- Fuel
C- Controller

And I’m not making this up. [/B]

okay so if in fact you aren’t making it up, does that mean i can use one on my LS? would i benefit from this if so?

You can benefit from a S-AFC on your LS. E-DA9 (Max) has one in his car. It’s great for making fine tuning changes to your fuel curve. I wouldn’t recommend it for a near stock LS or an LS with just bolt ons. But if you have cams or are built up at all, it can become a useful tool. Not only that but it scores a 10 on the coolness factor ;).

cool thanks for the info… sorry for the hijacking attempt on the thread, it’s over now. you can breathe easy again.

I’ve heard that running a VAFC with a chipped ECU isn’t reccommended, is this true? I have a brand new VAFC in the box sitting here, and I need to install it, but I’m running a chipped ecu and I need to know if this is going to be safe or not without having it dyno tuned.

Why would running a V-AFC with a chipped ECU be any different than running it with the stock computer? No…it isn’t going to hurt anything. I’m running my V-AFC in conjunction with a Toda Program OBD-1 P28 ECU.