Installed Timing Belt Please Help

I UT IN A NEW TIMING BELT WATER PUMP AND TENSIONER OVER THE WEEKEND. THE BELT SEEMS TO BE LOOSE THOUGH. WE TURNED IT OVER BY HAND AND IT KEPT JUMPING TIME ON THE INTAKE CAM. WE KEPT ADJUSTING THE TENSIONER AND IT GOT A LITTLE BETTER. THE CAR STARTS AND RUNS FINE. I DROVE IT AROUND THE BLOCK AND GOT ON IT AND IT STAYED IM JUST CURIOUS HOW MUCH TENSION THERES SUPPOSED TO BE. ITS LOOSE BETWEEN THE TWO CAMS AT THE TOP BUT NOT ALL THE TIME. ITS TIGHT MOST THE WAY AROUND EXCEPT AT CERTAIN SPOTS.

Follow the tensioning instructions in the manual (redo). The belt should be fairly taut all the way around.
PS. don’t type in caps, its very hard to read.

The belt should be a little loose between the gears when they’re not in motion. If you turn the crank (with a ratchet) you’ll see the belt tighten up as it should. Just follow the directions in the manual and you’ll be fine.

HEy Teg4Me,

Before tightening the adjuster only turn the crank counter clockwise when viewed from the pulley side, if you turn the belt clockwise you will loose the tension from the adjuster.