Installing exedy clutch

I got the clutch put in but when we put everything back together. I couldn’t shift easily it was hard to do it. So my friend adjusted the cable that goes to the tranny. Then at one point I couldn’t shift at all. Then all of a sudden, we heard a pop noise and it felt like the cable broke or either the spring that connects to the release bearing came off. So we’re going to take the tranny apart again to fix the problem. How can I prevent this from happening again?

which set up did you install? when I got my exedy organic race clutch put in, I adjusted the cable so that the clutch pedal would have no play… but after doing so, it was really hard to get into gear (but I did not force it.) So I ended up adjusting it so that there was a tiny bit of play in the pedal… it has been about 5 months and the clutch is working perfect.

hth

i have the same clutch as you. How did u adjust it so you can have some clutch play.

i was just outside adjusting mine…if the cable is adjusted to have NO freeplay in the pedal you wont be able to get it into gear, so you just need to back it off a little bit. there might be some pedal adjustment above the pedal itself but i havent taken the time to check yet.

to adjust your clutch, look in your engine bay…to the right of the battery you will see a black plastic adjustment nut next to the radiator hose. The nut will be quite a ways down there.

I forgot which direction to turn it for tighting/loosening, but just mess with it until you’ve reached your desired setting for the pedal.

That noise that I was talking about was the spring that connects behind the release bearing. It looks like a spring from a mouse trap. But I went to the dealer and got the part for $6. I put the clutch in today and its working really nice. I have freeplay on the clutch but when u put the pedal all the way down down then u can shift it. Im trying to get used to it right now and the clutch is grabbing really good.

Superthug
How did you replace the spring?
Doing a clutch job myself, one side of the spring, where it latches on to the bearing is snapped off. One side still can connect to the bearing, but like in your case, might not engage so nicely.
So how did you take the old one out?

I was thinking about unraveling one of the 3 circles to gain the length, then shorten it to length, and bending the tip 90 deg to catch the latch.

would appreciate the feedback

It was a while ago, let me see…
If you move the bearing or whatever that moves the spring and it stays there good, it’s fine. But check the 2 90 deg hooks on the spring. Those little hooks have to be clamped good. Mine were just worn out or something because they wouldn’t sit good. The dealership sells them for 6 bux. So i got it replaced and it works fine. To take off the spring, take everything apart but make sure u put everything back the right way. Or check the manual (helms, haynes). Also, when adjusting the clutch cable. Leave a lil freeplay on the pedal or u’ll put strain on the spring. That’s how mine broke.

I like the clutch a lot. It still grabs very good. Let it break in though, 500 miles.