Installing sunroof in an RS

I guess this is something thats never been done before, because i searched and found nothing.

anyway, I have a 93 RS, it already has an aftermarket sunroof, one that flips up to vent. its really quite worthless. So i bought a sunroof off a 90 teg.

Does anyone have any idea on how hard it would be to install in my RS. b/c it seems like from the roof to the headliner, there isn’t much space, I’m trying to figure out whether its going to be able to fit or not.

Or do i need a LS or GS headliner?
also, what do the tracks bolt to?
thanks

You need an LS headliner. The tracks bolt up into the roof of the car. The motor is mounted in the back of the car. You need basically everything in the LS for the sunroof. BTW you can make it fit with a litte time and $$$$.

yeah, i saw an LS headliner on ebay a week or so ago. I already have the glass, the motor, tracks, the seal. so i guess i have just one more thing to buy.

I could actually, just remove the RS headliner, install the sunroof, just leave the headliner off, until I buy one off an LS.

thanks for the reply

You will need to change the center section of the roof out as well. Thats means drilling out welds and welding in new roof. Windshield has to be removed. It would be easier and less expensive to buy another car that already has one.

http://www.donmar.com/

Originally posted by Luciferi
You will need to change the center section of the roof out as well. Thats means drilling out welds and welding in new roof. Windshield has to be removed. It would be easier and less expensive to buy another car that already has one.

can you elaborate on why i would have to install a new roof? LOL
I highly doubt it. All i should need is the LS headliner (which is alot lower from the roof than the RS one)
tell ya what, I’ll post pics when its done in 4 weeks or so. thread will be titled: told ya its possible, power sunroof in an RS.

He probably said that assuming that the hole for your current sunroof is not the exact size and shape you need to make the stock sunroof fit and seal. If ths is the case, you could still have a section of a LS roof with the hole for the sunroof cut out of a donor car, and cut the exact same section out of your roof, and have the LS one welded in and the welds ground flat and repainted.

If you look at an integra with the factory sunroof, you’ll see there’s a lip all around the opening that is part of the roof sheetmetal. Even if you did get the hole for the sunroof cut exactly where it needed to be, this lip still won’t be there and there will be nothing for the sunroof to seal against except sharp sheetmetal, not real good. Another thought because I don’t know this myself, what does the sunroof frame mount to and do non-factory sunroof cars come with these mounts? If the mounts are welded to the roof or something you’re going to have to improvise with that one too.

Originally posted by Luciferi

Has anyone ever done this before. I was thinking about doing this whenever I get my car painted eventually(but going from sunroof to no sunroof). Hmmm, maybe I should just get an RS…
-nino

I should throw a beating to the guy who put that sunroof in my RS. what the hell was he thinking? I really don’t know, but this flip-up 3 position sunroof sucks. and from all the pictures i’ve seen of G2’s with stock sunroofs, the sunroof hole is exactly where my aftermarket one was installed. also it looks to be the exact same dimensions, b/c i measured someone eles sunroof dimensions. I think all i’ll have to deal with is the lip, where it rests (maybe i can fabricate something). and to who asked about how the tracks attach, their welded to the roof. I’ll give installing the sunroof a shot when i get it (waiting on ups to deliver), and if its too hard to do, i will take it to a shop and have it done. it can’t cost THAT much…

I’d be curious how much that’s going to cost. If there is no alternative to welding the mounting threads to the roof that’s going to be interesting since there’s paint on the other side…The lip you need for a proper seal can probably be fabricated and welded in by any decent bodyshop. So i’d say it’s possible to do this project, but you’re going to be facing a paint job after it’s all said and done.

My teg needs a new paint job anyway, the roof is TOTALLY faded. so was the hood until i painted it black.
I am waiting till i get all the bodywork done, and a body kit, then its getting painted. I don’t think putting this g2 sunroof in my teg will be too hard.