Is it ok to skip gears?

I was wondering if thats a good way to save gas… i shift from 1st, to 2nd, then to 5th… is that safe and fuel effiecent? please reply

Re: Is it ok to skip gears?

Originally posted by gTIntegra
I was wondering if thats a good way to save gas… i shift from 1st, to 2nd, then to 5th… is that safe and fuel effiecent? please reply

It might save you a couple bucks on gas, but if you don’t have enough speed/power behind the car pushing it forward, you’re putting extra load on the motor and tranny which could probably cost you more in the long run.

Even if you were to catch enough speed to skip gears like that, you’re probably wasting more gas torquing it up near redline in low gear to reach that speed anyhow.

your saving gas… but your tranny is taking some unnecessary abuse.

how about cruisin in fourth then putting it in second popping the clutch???

what is ideal for the tranny…1500 and up? what about riding in 5th

i was doing that for a period of time
then i realized i wasnt saving any gas
and was just plain lazy

Just make nice easy shifts…at what ever the owners manual says there is a part that tells you what is best time to shift from each gear…i wouldnt suggest skipping gears.

I go from 3rd to 5th quite often; but 2nd to 4th ALWAYS scratches no matter how careful I am.

i skip from 1st to 3rd and 2nd to 4th quite often. not because of fuel efficency but because i punch it out of a corner and i get going the speed i want and if i shifted into the next gear the revs would be to high to cruise in so i just jump up two gears. if i’m cruising at around 60 mph and i want to pass i throw it into 3rd and once i redline i shift into 5th again.

ya whatever :smiley:

By skipping gears you would probably waste gas. some times i get on it in first and second and then skip to fourth or fifth cause i just wanna cruise with out the cops catchin feelins’ but by tachin it out like that in 1st and 2nd you are just eating the gas up and then if you get on it once you throw to 5th your probably in like 1500 rpms and you have no power so its probably just throwin gas out your pipe too. Id just get motivated and shift them couple a middle gears and like my moms says stop being so lazy.

:slight_smile:

personally i skip 4th a lot…i dont know if it really saves gas or not but i think the gear ratios of 4th and 5th gears are pretty much the same…plus it keeps my car quieter

i skip from 3rd to 5th when i get on the highway cause i open it up until redline then switch to 5th to cruise. yesterday i went from 5th to 3rd to pass someone and snaped my c.v. axle so right now im not switchin any gears.(damn stage 4 clutch grabs to hard).