ITR hydro tranny or YS1 cable tranny?

can you put an itr final drive in a s1/j1 tranny?? if so, how much would a shop charge to do this??

yes you can.

if you have a helms manual and a decent (hell even wal-mart quality) set of tools (read: sockets) you can do it yourself man. if you’d like i can get the section on the manual tranny and/or differential (where the f.d. lives) to ya. hit me up here or on AIM my s/n is CFVMBONE.

Just got an email back from place racing, and they no longer produce the hydro/cable tranny converter that Dan was talking about. Does anyone know of another place to get such a converter?

DAN, or anyone else who can answer. Why can’t you use a hydro tranny in a car originally equipped with a cable tranny, unless you use the converter? Not an issue of what tranny is better or not, just wondering why this is? Does anyone know?

well, you CAN use one, if you’re willing and able to shell out both the extra time and money it takes (and not a small amount of either) to install a complete hydraulic clutch setup, including master cylinder, and ALL the plumbing necessary. not a really good idea IMHO. instead, just use your transmission casing, and put the ITR or WHATEVER internals in there. or just get a JDM S1 transmission. it’s the same gearing as the USDM ITR…then go to godspeed motorsports and get the JDM 98-up final drive and first gear set.

ah, I understand now! thanks!
Oh yeah, one more question. So theoretically, I could use my YS1 equipped to my current 91’ Teg LS if I had too, without any necessary modification?

well, you can use that tranny, but keep in mind your gearing will be too tall really to have any major fun with VTEC. if you’re talking about just using the casing then yeah…keep the cable housing and use the hydro gears. i’ve driven a b16 teg with s1 gears and ls 5th and it was great…granted the ls 5th was a bit of a dog when doing anything “not entirely legal” (read: racing) on the freeway (very sparse traffic mind you, please no flaming about it, keep the thread on topic. ;)) but still…4 fun gears for vtec and a nifty ol’ long tall 5th to keep the gas sucking down to a minimum. good fun, good times, good laughs for all. :smiley:

Dude! I’m very appreciative of everyone answering the questions I post! very helpful! Hopefully this is my last one…So, besides using my case and putting hydro gears in it, or getting a 92-93 YS1 tranny from a GSR, what would be another good tranny to use? S1 perhaps? I’m looking for everyones opinion, cause you guys know whats up…and I’m just a beginner when it comes to japanese transmissions. Thanks again! LocalePED

i can tell you my own personal experience, and will leave it up to you for a final decision, hopefully i can help make an educated good solid decision:

my cousin recently helped a friend of his in the military do an ITR swap (yes JDM b18c5) into his 92 GS…he ended up using a straight S1 tranny from a JDM B16 because it has the same gearing as the US integra type r. he put the JDM ITR final drive and 1st gears inside it, and added the 92 GS’ 5th gear. I got to drive it a couple months ago, and DAMN was it nice. very fun first 4 gears indeed for VTEC joyriding, and the 5th was tall enough to provide great gas mileage (well as good as ITR compression and aggressive fuel mapping can give you) on the highway. I think he was still gettin around 25 or 26 mpg on the highway which for his ecu program was pretty nice. All I can say is I’m really leaning heavily toward the s1 with the LS 5th, even if i dont end up with the JDM ITR 1st and Final drives in it, because like i said it provides 4 fun VTEC gears with a nice highway gear as well. I know there’s a couple guys on the board with this setup already in their cars, and i think they’ll agree it’s a nice little setup indeed.

When i get the tranny in i’ll hopefully be able to post pics or at least have them available for those interested in how to do the swap (the usual disclaimer will be there tho, about me not being responsible if you get stupid and funk up your tranny yadda yadda yadda. :D)

HTH

thanks… it helps me too… I think I’ll keep my YS1 tranny until it break…

or maybe i’ll take the 97 ITR USDM tranny witch I already have and take the 1st gear (i think mine is too short) … or just sell it and rebuilt mine with LS 5th … its a very good idea…

I hope a 14.3 on the ¼ mile…

thanks all