ITR hydro tranny or YS1 cable tranny?

Hi, I just want to know witch one should I take??
I planned to buy a B18C5, and the problem is witch tranny should I take? I already have the YS1 tranny (original in GSRs) and I am not sure of the hydrolic cluch of the ITR tranny. I guess YS1 trannys are quicker but I need help…

Thanks…

(YES I will be a member soon)

You cannot use hydraulic style transmissions in second generation integras.

Actually Elmer, you can now but it’s kinda cheesy. You have to purchase the Place Racing Hydraulic to Cable converter ($200+) and it looks nasty. So I would still go with the GSR YS1. That’s what I’m running with my ITR setup.

He he, I recently saw the Place Racing hydro to cable kit and yes it is very ugly looking. That’s why I say “not able” to use. Good to see that you’re still around Dan, hope things are doing well with you.

Re: ITR hydro tranny or YS1 cable tranny?

Originally posted by timelimit
[B]Hi, I just want to know witch one should I take??
I planned to buy a B18C5, and the problem is witch tranny should I take? I already have the YS1 tranny (original in GSRs) and I am not sure of the hydrolic cluch of the ITR tranny. I guess YS1 trannys are quicker but I need help…

[/B]

I would use the ITR tranny since it has a few advantages:
closer gearing
LSD
stronger one piece shift forks
probably less miles

If you dont want to use the hydro casing you can swap the internals between the 2 trannies.

i agree with 91teg4sale. personally I would buy the conversion kit (even tho it ugly) from Place Racing and run the ITR tranny.

are the '92-'93 g2s not hydraulic?

d

92-93 GS-R YS1 tranny’s are not hydrolic, they’re cable. And you can put an LSD in this tranny.

I’ve got a GS-R YS1 on my B18A1.

-Steve

but the question is… will I be quicker with ITR tranny or with YS1???
because I saw a video of a type-r while dragging and I compared each gear with max speed at 8300rpm (cut off of my engine) and I can see that my first and second gear are shorter that ITR tranny.

any expert here?

thanks for your help

[B]but the question is… will I be quicker with ITR tranny or with YS1???
because I saw a video of a type-r while dragging and I compared each gear with max speed at 8300rpm (cut off of my engine) and I can see that my first and second gear are shorter that ITR tranny.

any expert here?

thanks for your help [/B]

The gears on the ITR tranny are closer to each other making it quicker.

I’ve just find what i was looking for :slight_smile:

I was right 93 GSR tranny are quicker

just go there and look … http://tiiite.b16a.com/Bgears.htm

heh…look again. looks to me like with the final drive taken into account, that JDM ITR is BY FAR the closest (or as they say tiiitest :D) ratios on the page. meaning THAT is the quickest tranny on there. I’m going to the honda dealer today to inquire about the price of a new ITR (USDM) gearset, if it’s not too bad i’ll be throwin’ it in my casing. if it IS a high-priced item (most likely will be) i think i’ve found a JDM ITR tranny for sale that i could just take everything out of from the inside, which would be awesome 'cause of those shift forks they have. yum. either way, results of my field trip posted later. i have a bus to catch. :wink:

okay!!!
I was comparising with the USDM Y21 tranny :slight_smile:

and you say that ITr tranny gear fits in my GSR gearbox??

[B]I’ve just find what i was looking for :slight_smile:

I was right 93 GSR tranny are quicker

just go there and look … http://tiiite.b16a.com/Bgears.htm [/B]

Yeah, jason is an authority on cable trannies, he cant even get the years right. Other pages where you migth find what you are looking for are b16a.com and eric baurs site-they are all different.

Lets assume jason page is correct. The YS1 have a bigger space between 1st and 2nd causing you to drop in the rpm between shifts vs the ITR
closer gearing==staying in the powerband==“quicker”

Thats why s1 and j1 cable trannies are quicker in the 1/4 mile then the YS1. The spacing of the gears is closer. I counted the teeth on each gear in the trannies I have access to and as result my YS1 tranny sits in my garage and I have been using other trannies in my car.

ok now i’m confused… … What the &|/$?%

now just tell me witch one is better for a b18c5 … cable trannys only

Use the GSR YS1. It’s a great tranny. The ITR Tranny is nice, escpecially with the JDM final drive and LSD, but it’s not that great. My friend that used to have a JUN powered ITR that made 195whp on the dyno ran with me at the track. Even with his JDM final drive, we were pretty dead even. This is what I recommend you do. If you are looking for a tranny to install now, install the GSR YS1. Then sell the ITR tranny (probably get at least $800 out of it) and buy a Quaife Differential (way better than the ITR LSD). Order a JDM ITR final drive and first gear from Godspeed Motorsports. That will be a MUCH better setup than the ITR tranny. Gear swapping is not that difficult if you have the right tools. Best of luck.

dan, that link was messed up i think. just got a blank white page. tried godspeedmotorsports.com and they didn’t really have jack. help a brother out? :slight_smile:

Originally posted by G2guru
Gear swapping is not that difficult if you have the right tools.

What tools might these be? I’ve been told that putting an LS 5th gear in a shorter tranny would be too hard because the tolerances were to close. If you’re going to answer this, look in the Engine Hybrid forum. Once I post this, I’ll create a thread there so that we can Archive it.

-Steve

Sorry guys, the site addy changed. I found it and fixed the link. You can click it now and it will lead you to the right place.

Steve, swapping gears is not for the novice mechanic, but it’s not that hard either. Just time consuming. You need all the basic tools as well as snap ring pliers, bearing pullers, feeler gauges, and a slide hammer. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Originally posted by G2guru
Let me know if you have any other questions.

Yeah, if I drive up to Oregon and promise you dinner, will you teach me/do it for me?:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

-Steve