Killed a GSR yesterday, and my brakes too

Yesterday I had a little encounter with a Gen3 GSR and raced him a couple of times. After the race (my teg won BTW :stuck_out_tongue: ). After I did some heavy breaking, I stopped at a traffic light and my wheels were literally smoking. I got out of the car and saw the smoke coming from my brakes. I recently installed KVR cross-drilled discs with Honda OEM brake pads. Looks like the pads can’t take the strain. Can anyone recommend a good set of brake pads made for this type of disc? Also, if you know of a good website where I can order then please let me know.

Did you break in the pads and rotors like you are supposed to do when they’re new? I think it’s at least 500 miles of stop and go driving…

I did break them in like the instructions said. They didn’t say anything about a 500 mile break in but I didn’t put a lot of strain on them until yesterday.

Originally posted by whiteyg2RS
Did you break in the pads and rotors like you are supposed to do when they’re new? I think it’s at least 500 miles of stop and go driving…

i don’t think brake pads require that much of a break in period. you must be thinking of clutches or something…

when i got my new hawk pads in (with new rotors, too), all it required were various stops at certain speeds to set in the brake pads, etc.

a friend of mine is getting me new powerstop brake pads. Are those any good? Somebody told me about Hawk pads, are they any good?

yusuke, i’m using hawk hps pads in the front right now and i’ve been impressed with their increased grab over the stock nissin pads. i think they are worth the ~$55 cost. i’ve never had any experience with powerstop pads, so i can’t comment on that.