Koni GC question

I know this has been discussed a million time, and i’ve read most of the threads.

My DA is my daily driver, and i don’t plan on entering any races. The most action it will see is some spirited driving.

So my question, is koni GC combo over kill for a daily driver??? I currently have GC’s on KYB AGX in the front and KYB GR2 in the rear, but they are getting old and need replacing. I’m kinda low, but not super low(about a finger and a half gap between the tires and the fenders)

Thanks in advance for any info you guys can provide

no one??? i really need to replace my shocks soon…

Put it this way, its a good investment. I’ve just recently upgraded to the Koni/GC’s and realized, why did it take me so long to do this? my DA is also daily driven from home to work, but the feel of these is just like OEM but sooo much better an you can adjust the firmness. Remember you have to find the Koni’s that are made for the GC’s you have now. And if you plan on dropping your ride find the extended top hats, too, pricey but worth it.

Thanks for the info… I was a little unsure because some of the threads i have read say that even on the softest setting they are still pretty firm. When you say to get the koni’s that are made for my GC’s, do you mean to match the spring rates of my GC’s. If so, how do i tell what spring rates i have?

I have it backwards. G.C. makes coil over sleeve for Koni and Non Koni suspension. So, if you buy Koni, your going to need compatible G.C. sleeve set up. You could probably contact G.C. to find out if they sell the sleeve barrels separately to fit Koni.

Here’s a link to Ground Control. Click on the drop down box. There’s a $40 dollar mark up for Koni or Bilstein shocks.
http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/description.php/II=13/CA=56

i already contacted ground control, they charge $125 for a hardware kit to convert all 4 to fit koni

You can use the non-koni GC’s on Koni shocks. You just need to use the lower spring perches that come with your Koni’s (used for stock or normal lowering springs). This setup will be the exact same as using the GC’s on non-Koni shocks. Doesn’t look as good, and fitment isn’t as nice as the Koni specific ones, but for many people I expect its worth it to save the $125.

I will respectfully disagree. If you are upgrading to koni/gc why stop short? That’s like stopping 5 ft before the finish (imo). “Yea I upgraded my suspension but was too cheap to make it look like I spent anything at all”. I understand most of us are on a budget but do it right the first time so you can be proud of knowing you went the distance (even if that means saving for a little bit longer). You could argue its a case of function vs form and in that case I will digress and not beat a dead horse.

So from the looks of things I can get the Tein Basic setup for approximately the same price as this GC/KONI setup sent to Canada. (They both look like right around $1000 including shipping) From what I have read over the past week I get the impression that people are overall happier with their GC/KONI . Would any of you guys agree?

Thanks, and I hope this isn’t thread jacking. Didn’t want to start ANOTHER GC thread. :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=Zenmachine;2257252]So from the looks of things I can get the Tein Basic setup for approximately the same price as this GC/KONI setup sent to Canada. (They both look like right around $1000 including shipping) From what I have read over the past week I get the impression that people are overall happier with their GC/KONI . Would any of you guys agree?

Thanks, and I hope this isn’t thread jacking. Didn’t want to start ANOTHER GC thread. :p[/QUOTE]

tein basic is not dampening adjustable, only height adjustable. gc/koni can adjust both

i absolutely hate psyche i love my gc/konis! only thing is i wish i woulda save a lil more and got the extended top hats as well. its a great setup for dd or ya know having a lil fun on the weekends its totally worth it!

Awesome thanks guys. Im definitely going to go with the GC/KONI setup. No top hats for me though as I am not slamming the car.

i really recommend getting extended top hats for at least the front… I’m not slammed, I have about a 1 1/2 finger gap all around. When took out my kyb agx shocks in the front to install my koni’s i noticed that i had completely destroyed my bump stops(they were no longer there). so i had been bottoming out a lot…

Hmm. Well thanks for that heads up asequeira. That’s unfortunate cuz the top hats put the cost over the top for me. I have a full extra set of OEM hats so I will look into extending them. If done properly, it should serve the same purpose.

I’m running oem hats that have been extended. I wouldn’t worry about the rear, just the front. Just make sure not to extend them too much. Mine have only been extended about an inch or so, and the tips of the shocks barely cleared the underside of the hood

I’m running on 12 years now with GC+Koni combo. The full-soft setting was actually too soft in the beginning few years, and I had them at one full turn. Now I have them totally “soft” and they are still somewhat firm. I don’t see the tire wear or bouncy ride that would indicate blown shocks. It really was a good investment if you’re planning on keeping the car for a long time. I paid $800 for the setup back then.

Thanks guys, this is really helpful.

Neil, do you know what spring rates yours are? Im thinking 350/380 but its hard to gauge what might work best for me without having driven on them.

I can’t remember, but I believe they were in the high 200’s.

Oh snap, I’ll be purchasing or fabricating some soon.

I noticed that too with the max softness setting that it was too bouncy. I currently have neuspeed race springs and have the shocks to one full turn for my daily drive setting.

I’ve had my koni yellow/ground control setup since 2008. I purchased the shocks used. Then when I saved up a lil more I picked up the coilovers and a pair of tophats brand new. I can’t tell you how many times I slammed that thing for shows, meets etc.(Man this setup can go LOW) But its no longer hammered and sits most of its time but they are still in great shape and ride like the day my friends and I installed them. I love this setup… I’m looking to upgrade the springs later and purchase another pair of tophats for the rear. But that’ll wait… rates on the springs are off the shelf btw…