Learning to drive 5-speed...

Well tomorrow I should be getting a 1993 Integra LS-S. I’m gonna have to learn how to drive stick since I never have before. Got any tips? Do’s and don’ts? I posted before that I would be getting a car that week, but at the last second, the guy sold it to someone else. This woman better not sell it to someone else after I already got the car inspected or :getsome:

5 Speed for dummies=

Unlike your auto to start the car you need to hold in the clutch while turning the key.

Clutch in = neutral/0% drivetrain lockup (Rev like a ricer here)
(you dont move when in this position)

Clutch halfway out = 50% lockup (car creeps forward; engine loses rpm and momentum; give gas to compensate)

Clutch out = 100% lockup (fully engaged now you can gun it)

Tip0 = try not to stay between in and out for long cuz u’ll wear out your clutch. When you smell something burning that’s when you know you have decreased the life of it.

Your left foot controls the ‘launch/drivetrain lockup’. The right foot controls gas and brakes. Your right hand controls the stick. Your left hand is on the wheel.

Tip0.5 = when not using the clutch dont be eager about it. Let it rest on the dead pedal. The last thing you want is a leg cramp in traffic. Make it a habit.

Tip1 = never put it in 1st (unless you can rev match) or reverse unless you’re completely stopped.

Tip2 = stay calm if you start rockin. Panic/tensing only makes it worst. Just steady on the gas and it should stop. Or you can clutch it and try again, but remember to bring your rpms up a little first.

Tip3 = Gently take your foot away from the clutch. Don’t pop it or burn/ride it. Feel where it begins to ‘grab’ and your rpms start to drop and memorize that point. Raise rpm around 1500, but keep on the gas pedal otherwise you’ll stall.

You must ‘sychronize’ your rpm to your speed depending on what gear. Driving like a granny would be 10mph per gear, but that should provide smoothness for a noob. Between gears gently let the clutch out and make sure you have fully put it in gear before letting it out; therefore, you wont grind. You will probably find it gets easier and smoother as you get up the gears. That’s normal. The hardest part about 5spds is at stops and slow speeds.

here’s a basic guideline for gears when learning
10mph - 1st
20mph - 2nd
30mph - 3rd
40mph - 4th
60+mph - 5th

Between shifts, let off the gas mostly like 90%. But dont take your foot away. Get ready to get back on it as soon as you switch gears and let the clutch out. Almost simultaneously but not.

Tip4 = avoid hills at all costs :wink: Use ebrake if necessary. Heel toe if you know how (might be difficult with stock pedals). Invest in a line lock =P

When stopping to a complete stop hold in the clutch and use the brakes. You can also shift to neutral and then let the clutch go while using the brakes. It’s all interchangable. Remember it takes two pedals to come to a complete stop.

If you dont come to a complete stop refer to the shift-mph guidelines above (dont use first gear in motion tho thats the exception). Blip the gas to around 2500-3000rpm (approx for these estimated guidelines; it’s better to overshoot by a little) before letting the clutch out so u wont go hard on your tranny.
If you arent coming to a complete stop then you dont have to clutch it just downshift after slowing down.

DO NOT:
Miss a shift
Put it in 1st or reverse while in motion
try to shift without pressing in the clutch
force gears
press the clutch half a$$ed. This is how most people wear their clutch out cuz they dont fully press it in when stopped in traffic etc. Press that pedal down all the way and firmly.

DO:
ADJUST THE CLUTCH WHEN FIRST LEARNING
(IT MAKES IT A HELLA LOT EASIER, ASK ANYONE)
PRACTICE
PRACTICE
PRACTICE

Good Luck :cool:
Tell us how it goes and if this helped

**Note: if this car has a light flywheeel you’re screwed. Let the expert drive it cuz even he may have problems.

wow, too bad i already know

Originally posted by JH4DB536
[B]5 Speed for dummies=

Unlike your auto to start the car you need to hold in the clutch while turning the key.

Clutch in = neutral/0% drivetrain lockup (Rev like a ricer here)
(you dont move when in this position)

Clutch halfway out = 50% lockup (car creeps forward; engine loses rpm and momentum; give gas to compensate)

Clutch out = 100% lockup (fully engaged now you can gun it)

Tip0 = try not to stay between in and out for long cuz u’ll wear out your clutch. When you smell something burning that’s when you know you have decreased the life of it.

Your left foot controls the ‘launch/drivetrain lockup’. The right foot controls gas and brakes. Your right hand controls the stick. Your left hand is on the wheel.

Tip0.5 = when not using the clutch dont be eager about it. Let it rest on the dead pedal. The last thing you want is a leg cramp in traffic. Make it a habit.

Tip1 = never put it in 1st (unless you can rev match) or reverse unless you’re completely stopped.

Tip2 = stay calm if you start rockin. Panic/tensing only makes it worst. Just steady on the gas and it should stop. Or you can clutch it and try again, but remember to bring your rpms up a little first.

Tip3 = Gently take your foot away from the clutch. Don’t pop it or burn/ride it. Feel where it begins to ‘grab’ and your rpms start to drop and memorize that point. Raise rpm around 1500, but keep on the gas pedal otherwise you’ll stall.

You must ‘sychronize’ your rpm to your speed depending on what gear. Driving like a granny would be 10mph per gear, but that should provide smoothness for a noob. Between gears gently let the clutch out and make sure you have fully put it in gear before letting it out; therefore, you wont grind. You will probably find it gets easier and smoother as you get up the gears. That’s normal. The hardest part about 5spds is at stops and slow speeds.

here’s a basic guideline for gears when learning
10mph - 1st
20mph - 2nd
30mph - 3rd
40mph - 4th
60+mph - 5th

Between shifts, let off the gas mostly like 90%. But dont take your foot away. Get ready to get back on it as soon as you switch gears and let the clutch out. Almost simultaneously but not.

Tip4 = avoid hills at all costs :wink: Use ebrake if necessary. Heel toe if you know how (might be difficult with stock pedals). Invest in a line lock =P

DO NOT:
Miss a shift
Put it in 1st or reverse while in motion
try to shift without pressing in the clutch
force gears
press the clutch half a$$ed. This is how most people wear their clutch out cuz they dont fully press it in when stopped in traffic etc. Press that pedal down all the way and firmly.

DO:
ADJUST THE CLUTCH WHEN FIRST LEARNING
(IT MAKES IT A HELLA LOT EASIER, ASK ANYONE)
PRACTICE
PRACTICE
PRACTICE

Good Luck:cool:
Tell us how it goes and if this helped

**Note: if this car has a light flywheeel you’re screwed. Let the expert drive it cuz even he may have problems. [/B]

Haha, thanks for all of the info! It is really helpful! I’ll let you know how it goes. Hopefully something won’t come up to stop me from getting the car as it usually does. I will definitely post pics!

dang that was pretty good. Think it would be safe to say

archivethis

??

:cool:

wait… wuts wrong with letting out 100% of the gas between shifts… :think:

Originally posted by Vi3tGuY04
wait… wuts wrong with letting out 100% of the gas between shifts… :think:
Yeah, that’s what I do, Let the Pedal out all the Way and Add a Little Gas before I release the Clutch.

It’s kinda hard to explain, but it’s for smoothness reasons. He doesnt have to do it now while learning. When he gets good, he will find that he will add that little bit of gas anyway. That’s the reason why i said it.

Think about it this way too. If you dont bring the engine back up to speed what will? The drivetrain will force the rpm up and put extra stress on the engine in the process. I always rev match and make it easy on my synchros, drivetrain, etc for reliability reasons. I dont really suggest doing all this complex stuff while learning because you have too much to worry about already. Once you got the hang of it you can do whatever you like. You dont have to take this advice if you dont like.

Do wut i did…play video games…:wink: :slight_smile: …Thas how i learned…i would go to the arcades and play all the car games with a clutch and 5 speed…like Racing Jam…I think thas one of the gewd ways to learn.