Looking for some advice, from people who have experience.....

Hey guys, I’m going to be buying some parts over the next couples months. With not having tons of experience or as most of you guys. This summer I want I want to get exhaust system, coilovers, strut tower bar, and thinking of putting the golden eagle ls Vtech kit on my B20 and had a couple questions. I have been reading up on all the stuff I have been looking at but still not sure on what to get. Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or and advice. If the products I am thinking about using are pretty good. I am going to put what I am thinking about ordering, and wanted to see if anyone has had bad experience, good and bad with the product.

Exhaust -GReddy Ti-C exhaust system.

Coilovers- not really sure I want something that has height and damper adjustments.

Strut tower bar- I have looked around have not seen any that I really liked I keep coming across Megan racing and I don’t care for there strut bars.

Golden eagle vtec kit, is it good for a B20?

So are you going to build a B20v or just going with the kit and a vtec head? Just curious.

Greddy TIC’s sound AMAZING but they are LOUD even with the silencers.
Tried and true ground controls and koni yellows are always good.
After many different bars I’ve used over the years, it’s neuspeed’s 4 point or nothing. Just my .02.
GE is as good as it gets.

Actually I was just thinking about doing the kit, sounds like a lot less headachs. Really how loud are we talking
“Tried and true grounds controls koni yellow?”

here’s some suggestions I stated in another thread on this forum in regards to coilovers…

[QUOTE=AV turn’d DA;2248561]Koni/GC is a proven setup yet it’s not a “true coilover” systems but it’s still quality and the company has excellent customer service. They (koni) can revalve the struts to any spec you want and they’re in country so you don’t have to pay for shipping to japan or elsewhere in event that you need a rebuild. There’s dyno charts throughout the web of this setup, just need to search to find it, but it’s out there, and for the most part the results are pleasing compared to other brands. Alot of users on this board uses it and can personally vouch for them.

I’ve noticed that you wanted reviews of d2, function and form, and ksport, which a matter of fact is literally all the same coilovers made in taiwan. I personally would stray away from those companies as there a plenty of horror stories from others across the honda community talking about premature leaking from the strut, piss poor quality control in which the dyno tests showed that the dampening are not carefully calibrated to one another, therefore there is some difference in each coilover if you set them at the same damper setting. Also if you plan on “slamming” the teg, I predict that these coilovers will not last that long considering that the travel for the strut will be capped since you’re probably gonna crank those collars to the lowest setting not allowing the proper travel for the strut, which can eventually cause premature leakage (But this essentially applies to all coilovers if you decide to do this).

If you really want to get that “slammed” look, try to get the eg/dc setup which involves using the eg/dc front forks and still retaining the rear stock control arms as people already stated. The shock length on the dc/eg is 2.5’’ shorter than a DA so therefore you get the benefit of being low, and already having the proper travel for the strut/shock. The only issues you may encounter with this setup is that the front forks may rub against the axles as some people have indicated here. Also if you do decide to do this, you may want to look into dc2 type-r suspension as well (you need to change your rear control arm to run them; direct bolt-on) which then opens your selection as you can get those exclusive Japanese brands.

Also another consideration if you plan on getting coilovers, is to replace those 20+year old bushings!!! They will make the car feel like night and day!! Most people overlook this, but this is VERY IMPORTANT, it will make the car more responsive!!!

The choice of what brand is up to. If you want to cheap out and buy skunk2,ksport,d2,f&f go ahead, but be forewarned those companies do not offer top notch CUSTOMER SERVICE. In the event that your coilovers blows and you want to rebuild, those companies do not offer that service, though i don’t know if it applies to these companies, some companies that i’m aware of can replace the dampeners(shock/strut/whatever it’s called). Instead they may require you to purchase another kit if it’s out of warranty, basically SOL. Me personally I’m all about 1. quality control, 2. customer service (even before this recent skunk2 dilemma). Why buy something if it’s crap? Why not save a little bit more and buy something that has been proven over and over and it backed by the company by offering superior customer service. Take that into consideration.

Some companies that you should look into:

1. Koni/GC (as stated above)
  2. Tein- though alot of people don’t like them, I personally have no problem with them as their customer service is great and they have a facility in CA that offers a rebuild service.
  3. Fortune-Auto- a recent company mostly known in the 240sx community, though some of it’s part are from out of country (Taiwan,China), the customer service is there and they dyno test all their products and also offer a rebuild service stateside. They stand behind their products.
  4. Zeal (my preference)- not really budget friendly but again their products are excellent and backed by good customer service. They also have a rebuild facility in the US as well
  5. Cusco- a great product from the start and pretty pricey as well. However the only downfall to them is if you need to get them rebuild, it’s definietely not cheap. Cusco only replaces the dampeners, not rebuild them which costs ~$170+ per corner. But nonetheless a great product.
  6. K&W- not budget friendly but their product are of a superior quality. There quality control is there as they have facilities to dyno test them and they also offer rebuild service as well.

my $0.02

hope this helps you in the right direction to choosing the coilover for you ;)[/QUOTE]

Wow that helped thanks man! Question I don’t Know shit about spring rates. And I don’t want to be slammed but I do want to be a little low. What would be good to go with.

From coilovers I would go with ground/Koni of some functions forms type 2. Now from the sturt bars I’m currently rocking the vision. It’s the same thing as spoon just with the vision stamp instead of spoon. It’s a quality brand you can order it from ICB for like 250. Another brand is cusco bar I don’t know of they still make them or not but you can find them pop out in different forums. I personally think that one is the best. But you can never go wrong with vision. From exhaust I would go with hks I like looking stock. to bad everything is discontinue. My favorite exhaust is buddy club spec 2 thier not for DA but I’m pretty sure you can weld and cut it to make it fit your car. That shit sounds so nice.

Yeah I am about to order ground/Koni set up but Idk what springs to get, and what is up with the limited edition ground control spring they have?

And what If I got a buddy club exhaust, and got some pipe and made it, It would be cheaper by a lot and would possible sound the same?

Personally I have the function and form coilovers and I can’t complain for the price. I also have skunk2 LCA and front and rear camber kit. After I got the coilovers at the height i wanted and wheels aligned, I haven’t had any problems what so ever. It’s been in for almost a year. I’m not at the track ever Saturday but I have fun on this mountain roads. My setup has been tested to the fullest and no complaints here.

All these companies parts come from Asia now. We do live in the United States. But th difference is quality control. And that is what u are paying for.

+1 I am in a similar situation. The car will get autocrossed once or twice a year but otherwise its street use only so nothing too aggressive. Any spring rate input is appreciated. In the mean time I’ll keep searching. :slight_smile:

I figured Id chime in here. For the money, I hate the fact that Tokico Illuminas get looked over constantly for Konis. I get it, they may be a tad better, but for the price, I personally go with Tokicos every time. Just be sure to get a good spring rate and base it off of what you want the most. Aggressive for track, or comfort for DD, or a little of both!

Lots to consider, but dont count out Tokico “whites” haha