Main fuel relay

The main fuel relay also controls the voltages to the Electronic Control Unit ECU as well as the voltage that runs the fuel injectors. In looking into this I found that the book was wrong so I made the correction and thought I would post them for you to look it. As there are two relays in this box I labeled them K1, K2. K2 runs the fuel pump and K1 runs everything else. You can jump out K2 and make the Fuel pump come on with the key. [SIZE=3](this should only be used as a test as it will run as long as the key is on ) [/SIZE] if you car still will not start or run or cut off while you are driving it is the other relay or a bad connection in one of the connectors. If you take the main fuel relay apart as far as I did you can file the point with an emory board or some 600 sand paper and possibly save the relay assembly.

Good information. As for the schematics, which part was wrong? Or did you
mean they’d left out some resistors and diodes. Take a look at the red circle
on figure 1 below. Is this a correction? Or was this just your
initial test that we should just ignore? :whew:

Edit: Nevermind I’d figured it out. Those guys at Chilton tend to get things wrong many times. I’d stopped buying their books long ago. Evedently, they’d put the resistor on the wrong spot on their schematic drawing. It’s supposed to be after the diode. There are two versions of the main relay. Both have the resistor after the diode.

This red wire jumps the battery and fuel pump. Just adding.

Let us know the result of sanding with a 600 grit sand paper. I’ve notice that
sanding the contact points tend to raise the heat level of the relays. This
would imply that something better than 600 would be required. :salute:

One of the best way is to remove the old solder (desolder) and put a new
solder with flux. There are some sites that offers solder removal help.
http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/solder.htm
http://techauto.tripod.com/mainrelay.htm

is this my problem?

so, i have a question?..
my car has been having intemittent problems, not wanting to start…
it is definately a fuel problem, or should i say, a no fuel problem. it never dies while driving around ever, so i hesitate to think it is the pump, what it does is it will just crank over and over, but not start. i have checked it out and its definately not getting fuel to the rail, and i am thinking it sounds perhaps more likely that this is what my problemm is? what do you think?
thanks!!!

if you have a specific problem, your question needs to be made in a new thread in the specific forum(i.e Stock-Engine-Bay Components). this forum is for articles/teg tips only.

you will get more help if you make a thread in the correct forum, and after searching as well.

ok a buddy of mine is having trouble when he turns on the car that main relay starts clickin he changed it out and still the same thing going on still clicking what can we try to do to fix this the car will turn over but will not start any help will be great
thanks
justin

answere to problem?

Did you ever find the answere to your starting issue? Im having the same problem…? Thanks Marc

can somebody repost the pictures?