Major Auto Tranny Problem (Please Help ASAP)

Hello… I have a stock 1990 auto 4 door LS teg that I do not race or anything like that. It has 120,000 miles on a rebuilt motor after it overheated and blew a head gasket. I belive the trans has also been rebuilt. Anyway, ever since it started getting cold ive been having problems.

1. the key start been getting stuck in the ignition when cold (no big deal, pobably some relay)

2. The it stoped shifting past 2nd in the morning or when it hasnt been ran in a while… (even after letting warm up 15 min)

3. Then tonight I started it up, it was pretty warmed up already… went on the road and after about 2nd gear it slipped and went into a nuetral state… coasted over to the shoulder and tried to make it go back in gear. It finaly went back in after shutting the car off for a minut then starting it again… Went on my way and it did the same thing 30 seconds later… only way for it to go back in gear was to shut it off. Checked the trannyt fluid… seamed ok… anyway, I had to leave it at a gas station over night because I did not want to casue more damage.

Can anyone help me diagnose the problem, im getting real worried…

Thanx,
Mike

ZXX Mike on AIM

Re: Major Auto Tranny Problem (Please Help ASAP)

Originally posted by ZXX_Mike
[B]Hello… I have a stock 1990 auto 4 door LS teg that I do not race or anything like that. It has 120,000 miles on a rebuilt motor after it overheated and blew a head gasket. I belive the trans has also been rebuilt. Anyway, ever since it started getting cold ive been having problems.

1. the key start been getting stuck in the ignition when cold (no big deal, pobably some relay)

2. The it stoped shifting past 2nd in the morning or when it hasnt been ran in a while… (even after letting warm up 15 min)

3. Then tonight I started it up, it was pretty warmed up already… went on the road and after about 2nd gear it slipped and went into a nuetral state… coasted over to the shoulder and tried to make it go back in gear. It finaly went back in after shutting the car off for a minut then starting it again… Went on my way and it did the same thing 30 seconds later… only way for it to go back in gear was to shut it off. Checked the trannyt fluid… seamed ok… anyway, I had to leave it at a gas station over night because I did not want to casue more damage.

Can anyone help me diagnose the problem, im getting real worried…

Thanx,
Mike

ZXX Mike on AIM [/B]

first it would be a good idea to pickup a haynes manual and download the helm’s as they will help you troubleshoot.

the relay is most likely a worn out neutral safety switch under the shifter. its about 30$ from the dealer.

try tranny i dont know. its probalby a good idea to get it flushed with oem honda ATF.

try a search, these have been covered

im not concered abotu Number 1 and 2, but I think my transmission is shot… I think its somthing a little more serious then changing the fluid… Any idea what type of problem it could be, and how much it would be to fix it?

Re: Major Auto Tranny Problem (Please Help ASAP)

Originally posted by ZXX_Mike
[B]

[/B]

Click Here

As for the shifting problem~I’d check the shifter cable for adjustment.