misfire oh my!

well i just redid my exhaust line and removed the cat. i put on the line and it has a leak where the new line is bolted on to the remaining downpipe.

so at idle i can feel a misfire, i just changed the rotor/cap, and have recently changed plugs/wires, what else can be the problem? i hope not the coil, etc

anyway, when i’m driving from like 1500-2500 rpms the exhaust will make these popping sounds and the car will jerk as if only 3 cylinders are firing, but i was just wondering if anybody has ever gotten these popping sounds.

thanks

Are you talking about a backfire? Check your Fuel pressure, but more likely check to make sure you have compression in all four cylinders. I would also fix your exhaust leak first to make sure that isn’t it.

i’m having a 2 1/4" line done today so hopefully that will fix the problem, but what have you guys done to fix a misfire?

i decided not to get the exhaust done, as i need the money to fix the problem…

i have run down a few of the culprits, the noise itself is most likely created by raw gasoline getting into the exhaust and then exploding, if anybody knows what this sounds like…

blown valve, falty coil, bad wires, bad plugs, i can’t really think of what else.

i really don’t want to replace all these things only to find out it was something stupid like a blown fuse.

so if anyone has had this same problem, please, please tell me

thanks

you might need to adjust your valves, and timing…fix the exhaust…and then if you hear the problem. look for professional help, where they can do a compression test…etc.

later

yeah, i’m going to adjust my valves, it’s the cheapest thing i can do right now, and i think i’m going to do the exhaust work myself, buy a welder, etc
thanks for the help

Originally posted by x4evawizex
[B]i decided not to get the exhaust done, as i need the money to fix the problem…

i have run down a few of the culprits, the noise itself is most likely created by raw gasoline getting into the exhaust and then exploding, if anybody knows what this sounds like…

[/B]

That is what I said, it is called a backfire when unburned gasoline ignites in the intake or exhaust. Since it is still running it probably isn’t the timing, since the timing would mess up all four cylinders. Also, since it sounds like you could have a bad compression in one cylinder, you should do a compresion and/or leakdown test. It could be the electrics, and you should still check them but if you just changed those components, then it probably isn’ t them. As for not fixing the exhaust so you can solve the problem, the exhaust may be your problem so I would still get it fixed.

i have the popping/backfiring prob too… when i take off from a stop it always pops and misses or whatever, really annoying…i just replaced my rotor, i have a fairly new msd cap and i have msd ignition and i recently replaced my spark plugs and have msd 8.5 mm wires(fairly new) so i dont know what my prob could be???

so i’m assuming the problem isn’t electrical; the backfiring… have you replaced your fuel filter lately? i plan on doing this, becuase possibly this could be causing the problem…

and WHERE is the fuel filter on our car, i don’t feel like looking in my service manual :frowning:

anybody else have any ideas as to what could be the problem? the problem first started when i started using 20w50 oil, are you also running a thicker oil?

i also plan on checking my plugs, maybe it’s a $2.00 problem :slight_smile:

how often does the fuel filter need to be changed?

the fuel filter is located on the fire wall
look under the intake tubing
its a small cylinder shaped black object with two lines going into the top
i f u never changed your fuel filter before then nows the time