missing piece from Koni Yellows?

I just recently picked up used Koni’s Yellows (not blown) and Progess springs from my friend. I put the clip to the highest settings for all of the struts and for some reason the front is a little to low for me. I just don’t like the appearance when tires get tucked in. I figured that on the stock struts theres a groove and a clip to hold the strut in place so it doesn’t go all the way down through the fork. On the Koni Yellow’s, it goes right through giving my ride height an extra 1/4-1/2" drop. Is there suppose to be an extra clip on the bottom of the front strut to stop it from going all the way down?

You can see that the bolt jumped and grooved the strut. Yes, I did torque the screw on the fork to pinch it.

stock clip stuff I was talking about…

there is no bottom clip on the konis. don’t worry about it, just make sure you torque the bolts to spec. if you’re worried about adjustment, you do that with the perch/clip rings.

You’re supposed to remove the bracket (with red arrow on your pic) from the old shock and put it on the konis.

Originally posted by jonsteR
You’re supposed to remove the bracket (with red arrow on your pic) from the old shock and put it on the konis.
Yep, that bracket also holds your brake lines, deffinitely not something you want to not put on!!

If you are still to low you can find some heavy walled piping that slides snugly over the Koni shock body and seats on the adjustable snap ring clip. Cut the piping to the proper length and slide it over the shock body and rest it on the snap ring clip and put your spring perch on top of the piping. All your doing is building a spacer for the spring perch. If you can’t find any I have some 1" spacer sitting around you can have. By lowering the shock body in the shock fork you actually increase your bump travel but you do lower your ride height but with the spacers you can gain the ride height back and still have the increased travel. Get back to me if you don’t understand.

DB2-R81: I was actually thinking of that. But the prob is the grade of the piping? I don’t want that thing getting eaten down. Also, what exact diameter is it? My car is too low that I got too much butterflies on my front tires…
Thanks

The Koni shock diameter is 42 mm. Don’t use any tubing with a wall thickness less than 4mm, sorry don’t know the grade. Mild steel, DOM, ERG or CroMo is ok. Look at the adjustable snap ring and think about how much weight it can support.

Yessss it helped. I headed down to Lowes and bought some weird metal piping that a guy recommended me using for the amount of weight the car puts. He only charged me to cut the pipe…the 1/2" pieces were just scrapes. My ride height finally looks non-ricey…Thankseroo for the info DB2! :wink:

Originally posted by Gerok
Yessss it helped. I headed down to Lowes and bought some weird metal piping that a guy recommended me using for the amount of weight the car puts. He only charged me to cut the pipe…the 1/2" pieces were just scrapes. My ride height finally looks non-ricey…Thankseroo for the info DB2! :wink:

So Gerok, how did that “weird metal piping” work-out? What department was the stuff in? Lowes/Homedepot are some big hardware stores and most of the employees there aren’t too bright. I’d like to at least be in the right area before I start asking clerks for help.

Hey Marc, where did you get the piping for your car? Do you have any left or still have those 1" spacers laying around?

ARCHIVETHIS

Thanks,

Leif

Did you just get your Koni Yellows?..hehe…I’m still running them till this day and nothing seems wrong (they were used too). My car is higher (which is good) and I guess I noticed a difference since there was more travel to the rod. Lowe’s gave me some hardcore plumbing pipes (brownish grey in color) that they used for buildings (those metal pipes you see when you take the stairwell). I got lucky - one of the import enthusiasts just happenly worked there, so I explained to him and he led me directly to the plumbing department

I bought my Koni’s new about 6 months ago. I just need to raise my back-end a tad to even out my drop.

I’ll check Lowe’s out and see what I can find.

Thanks,

Leif

What do you guys think about using a couple extra of these rings (the ones on the left) to add a little extra height? Specifically for the rear.

If that sounds like a good diea, does anyone know where to get a hold of some extras? I searched for a Koni customer support phone number but haven’t found one yet.

Leif