Modding for Fuel Economy

My 92 DA is my DD. I use it to drive 50 miles a day to and from work. That being said, I get about 320 miles per fill up or approx. 29mpg. The goal is to get the car up to 400 miles before I fill up or 36mpg+.

1992 Acura Integra RS

Current Mods
Header
New Cat
EBay Cat Back
CAI
GSR Alloys w/ crappy tires

Mods to come:
Changing plugs
Changing Oil
Changing driving habits (HUGE)
Grill blockers to help with aerodynamics
Lower Lip
Side Skirts
Lower it (springs and shocks)
Some weight reduction
fuel filter
spark plug wires
valve adj

Mods to come MUCH further down the road:
Engine Rebuild
Transmission Rebuild (different gears for better MPG available?)
Paint Job (to help the air flow better and make me feel better)

Any other suggestions?

Steve

If you don’t care, remove the AC and PS. That will help out.

Lighter wheels and skinnier tires.

You may want to look into a lighter drive pulley.

Keep it under 3k rpm…at least that makes a pretty big difference for me (automatic tho’)

a good tune up will be fine. Unless your engine really needs one a rebuild isnt necessary. We have both PS and AC installed, and my dad uses a/c, never rolls down windows unless its been parked.

After a tune up my dad was able to achieve 36 mpg highway (400+ miles on one fill). This is on an engine with ~145k miles. Car was completely stock at the time, i might have put in the K&N drop in then. Full interior, nothing stripped. A 1993 RS, milano red like yours.

driving habits play a huge role in mpg. I’ll have to ask my dad to elaborate more, but i know his commute consisted of 90% highway. Just keep in mind your throttle position.

Since then however, i’ve only been able to achieve 32 mpg however i drive more local streets than highway.

I live in south FL, I need AC.

I’m starting with 36mpg as a base goal. I’m hoping after a few mods, I hit 45 and possibly 50.

Only time will tell. :slight_smile:

Steve

lol i see…

swap a d15B6 in. :wink:

• its 5 speed transmission.

upgrade grounds so when a/c does come on its not puttin such a load on the car to run it. also i heard that pumping the tire pressure up to around 40 psi helps as well but it decreases your wet traction, i put mine at 38 on my accord and it seems to help (no numbers yet) I commute 90 miles round trip to school and looking to mod for fuel economy as well, let me know of anything else you come up with lol

What did you mean by “grill blockers”? You’ll need to reduce your frontal area to improve aerodynamics and reduce your coefficient of drag, (which is 0.32 for you). So you can try smaller mirrors (…meh) but lowering the car - yup :wink:

And I’m not sure about the lighter wheels. That goes back to moments of inertia and everything. If you do a lot of coasting - like I do - before red lights etc, lighter wheels will cause you to slow down faster due to friction with the road. But that may very well be offset by the power needed to accelerate a heavier wheel. Perhaps that might not make a difference.

A/C compressor is pulley driven. Upgrading the grounds will have no effect on it. It isn’t electrically driven.

Grill blockers are basically panels that block the incoming air from the front of the car.

Now, before anyone goes crazy about over heating, this is something that I have considered and will be researching further.

As for the lighter wheels, I hear what you’re saying, but lighter wheels play into the over all mass that engine has to move during acceleration. Also, I’m considering steelies with disc hub caps. That would actually be my first choice so it would be somewhat lighter AND aid in aerodynamics. (And the tires would be over inflated as well.)

Steve

What about gearing? Is there a 6spd B transmission? Can I swap out the FD in this car to help with mileage?

Steve

[QUOTE=k-series;1871681] Also, I’m considering steelies with disc hub caps. That would actually be my first choice so it would be somewhat lighter AND aid in aerodynamics. (And the tires would be over inflated as well.)

Steve[/QUOTE]

MOON DISK!!! please do it, i have always wondered how they would look on an integra.

http://www.hubcapmike.com/rdc01-13.html
http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/pro25.pl?ref=partsnstuff&ct=56957&pd=246050
http://www.thehotrodgirl.com/hubcaps.html

now would the wheel covers make a diffrence as far as areo and mpg? i can see them hurting on brake cooling but if your going for max mpg then ur braking is not a problem.

to add to your list.

fuel filter
spark plug wires
§§§§§ cap and rotor
valve adj
pcv valve?

increasing the overall diameter of your tires will give you a numerically lower gear ratio. gearspeed does custom gearing but they may only do lower gearing than what you have like 4.4 4.78 and such.

[QUOTE=RedHeadPyr0;1871715]now would the wheel covers make a diffrence as far as areo and mpg? i can see them hurting on brake cooling but if your going for max mpg then ur braking is not a problem.

to add to your list.

fuel filter
spark plug wires
§§§§§ cap and rotor
valve adj
pcv valve?[/QUOTE]

Distributor is brand new (as is the cap and rotor)

I need to overhaul the whole motor honestly, so I’ll add the valve adj to that. I do need to change out the fuel filter and wires (plugs I have and will be doing it this weekend).

Steve

[QUOTE=RedHeadPyr0;1871710]MOON DISK!!! please do it, i have always wondered how they would look on an integra.

http://www.hubcapmike.com/rdc01-13.html
http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/pro25.pl?ref=partsnstuff&ct=56957&pd=246050
http://www.thehotrodgirl.com/hubcaps.html[/QUOTE]

I need to find a 14 or 15" cap for sure.

Steve

TEGlover has a great point.
Not the cheapest ways… but 17" wheels as light as you can afford with the lightest tires (Flakens) you can afford, will elongate your gear ratio and lighten rotational mass. We all know that accelerating from a stop is where most of the fuel is spent.
Water injection will allow you to run leaner which in turn will save some fuel.
Lighten the load would be the least expensive route to better fuel economy.
A few degrees on ignition/timing advance wouldn’t hurt either.
oh… and I think I have a pic of a white DA that had those moon disc you guys are talking about. Looks slick!

I’d be cool with 16" moons to get bigger and aero. 17" might be a bit much. :slight_smile:

Also, wouldn’t I want to retard the timing, why advance?

Steve

NM, I see why I’d advance if I was running WI. Couldn’t I advance the timing and use some other mod to adjust or would I need a built bottom end at that point?

Steve

Alright, doing some baseline testing. Previously, I was getting approx 29mpg (320 miles per fill up/tank at 11 gallons). I have done no mods at all, not even maintenance yet.

Firstly, I have changed my driving habits incredibly. While I have yet to fill up, I’m on track for almost 400 miles on the tank or 36mpg.

Once I fill up, the next mods are:

Oil Change
New Spark Plugs
New Wires
Over inflate tires
Weight Reduction by getting some crap out of my trunk (10lbs or so)

After another week, I’ll report back and get ready for the next round of mods.

Steve