MPG problem

Will do! I know a guy from work that’s a Honda master tech. I’m gonna have him dial in the timing.

Man I have a stock ls hytech header no o2 and I still manage to get 250 to 320 on 91 gas.

Lol damn! Yeahhh I need to get it fixed 100%

Just recently in the past month or so I have also noticed my MPG declining. I have a 92 gsr with 180k original miles. It runs smooth with no problems. The timing belt, NGK spark plugs, and wires have around 30k mi on them. I run mobil 1 high mileage full synthetic, have installed a new air filter, run premium gas, and usually once a month I run lucas additive in my tank. I have new tires (6 months old and watch the air pressure) and drive mostly highway at 70 mph with very few to little vtec engagement. I just calculated after this fill up. I went 216.5 miles on 8.856 gallons which avg’s 24 mpg. That is the low end of the specs. The specs are 24 city/29 hwy. I have actually gotten 30-31 mpg on the highway but usually avg 28 mpg. I have noticed that when I go to fuel up, when I pull the gas cap off, I don’t get that purge of blow off. Is it possible that a bad gas cap could cause a 3-5 mpg drop? If anyone has any suggestions or has any tips of what else I can do to trouble shoot or improve my mpg I would appreciate it.

Colder winters, more Ethanol dilution will both cause less MPG. This time of year it’s expected to see a couple MPG lost.

I just did a complete tune up on my 90 LS just out of curiosity to see if i get better gas mileage out of it. I’ve had the car for about 6 months now and i haven’t done any maintenance till now and it has been running really rough prior to the tune up. Previous owner did mention that it has a newer rebuilt B18A1 on it. I usually get about 250 miles to the tank mostly freeway miles on 87 gas mostly from shell or chevron. I really don’t know if I’m ever empty on gas because the low gas light icon does not work. I usually fill it up when the arrow is right before the Red line, and when i fill it up it shows it fills up with 9-10 gallons of gasoline.

Here’s what i did to it these past couple of days:

Replaced:
Transmission Oil
Engine Oil
Oil Filter
Air Filter
Fuel Filter
Cap and Rotor
Spark Plugs and Cables (NGK)
Valve Adjustment (valves were ticking really loud)
Set all my tires to 32PSI
SeaFoamed my car a couple months prior.

Just filled my tank with 87 from Chevron.
I mostly drive this car to work and home. I could already notice the smoother engine idle and smoother cold starts. Ill let you guys know if i see a big difference in MPG.

Haven’t got to look at the timing yet. But went to start it up… and nothing at all… Anyone know how these two problems could be related. I’m testing the starter tomorrow.

I think my car is running rich. I am looking at replacing my o2 sensor to trouble shoot. Anyone have a suggestion on a particular brand for a db2? Advanced Auto wants $80 for one. Ebay has Bosch and NGK for $25-$45. Safe to buy one off Ebay?

I would go with Denso brand. Someone on here mentioned that Denso is the brand that makes the O2 sensors for Honda.

http://www.densoproducts.com/product.aspx?zpid=18065
http://www.myautopartswholesale.com/searchitem.epc?lookfor=234-4099

bingo. winter blend gasoline

so you get nothing when you crank? can you at least hear the starter click? starter relay click? listen carefully.
do the dash lights come on?

if you don’t hear anything, and have no dash illumination, check your battery voltage. if good, check/clean all battery connections/cable grounds. start with that

My dash is fully powered. I got ot started by “push starting it” so I’m pretty positive it’s the starter. I got a new starter, so I’ll be installing it in the morning.

it could still be anything else involved with the starting circuit. if you want to confirm the starter is bad, try a bypass jump. that is, apply power from the b+ to the starter solenoid. if it cranks, starter,battery, b+ cable and ground cable connections
are all good. then it would either be cis, relay, or ign switch. if it doesn’t crank, it is one of the items mentioned above in this post

this is why you must listen when you crank. if you hear a click at the starter, you know you are getting power to the solenoid at least

[QUOTE=408DB2;2307314]I just did a complete tune up on my 90 LS just out of curiosity to see if i get better gas mileage out of it. I’ve had the car for about 6 months now and i haven’t done any maintenance till now and it has been running really rough prior to the tune up. Previous owner did mention that it has a newer rebuilt B18A1 on it. I usually get about 250 miles to the tank mostly freeway miles on 87 gas mostly from shell or chevron. I really don’t know if I’m ever empty on gas because the low gas light icon does not work. I usually fill it up when the arrow is right before the Red line, and when i fill it up it shows it fills up with 9-10 gallons of gasoline.

Here’s what i did to it these past couple of days:

Replaced:
Transmission Oil
Engine Oil
Oil Filter
Air Filter
Fuel Filter
Cap and Rotor
Spark Plugs and Cables (NGK)
Valve Adjustment (valves were ticking really loud)
Set all my tires to 32PSI
SeaFoamed my car a couple months prior.

Just filled my tank with 87 from Chevron.
I mostly drive this car to work and home. I could already notice the smoother engine idle and smoother cold starts. Ill let you guys know if i see a big difference in MPG.[/QUOTE]

Here’s what i got 320miles on 10.5 gallons of fuel. Average about 30 MPG mostly highwaay

I ran Lucas injector cleaner and I’m still averaging 25 mpg highway with no vtec engagement. I’m going to replace the gas cap and see what happens. So far I am going to have to concur with other members, the winter fuel may be the issue of why my mpg is down.

Filled up on Sunday and calculated my mpg. 36.5 mpg. That’s mixed highway/city, conservative/little crazy.

This is also a b20b with ls intake exhaust manifolds. And stock ls ecu. This week I’m mostly driving highway I’m about 200 miles into this tank and I’m at half a tank.

Just checked my last fill up. I averaged 27 mpg. I don’t get it. I engaged vtec multiple times and my mpg is better than my last tank with no vtec engagement.