msd blaster coil

i have the msd dist cap and blaster coil. i was wondering, if you connect the blaster coil, does your car still use your stock coil? cause my stock coil is bad.

you have to take out your stock coil and plug the msd into the distributor coil wire. so to answer you question… yes you take out the stock coil :slight_smile:

there’s a wire for a magentic pickup distributor or rpm sensor on the end of the msd, a large black wire with a plug. is that the one that goes where the coil used to be? cause that one is pretty short. the black and oragne wires goes to the coil, but since i have the blaster coil, its going to that. is this correct? thanks in advance

oops, i didnt mention i had a msd 6al ignition also, lol… so i have a 6al, blaster coil, and the cap. well i’m pretty sure how to connect the external coil. the 6al is pretty straight forward, other then the black wire with the plug on it(green, violet) labelled for MAG PICKUP.

my current guess is… hook 6al up to battery, 12v ignition, and to the blaster coil. the mag pickup i’m unsure of. the blaster coil will connect to the cap.

the big wire <spark wire> connects to the cap. the 2 smaller ones connects directly to the orginal wire starting point… which is on the bottom side of the distributor. if you open up the distributor there are 3 prones with 3 wires already hooked up… therea re two of them you have to take off and then you replace them with the MSD ones.

When I did my ignition, I spliced into the wires for the magnetic picup inside the distributor cap. In doing this, you have to make a slight modification to the cap itself. Everything LODOSS has said is correct though. :up: