My LED swap.

Well, after a few years of switching out bulbs and experimenting with chrome stickers, I finally finished my LED swap. Oh yeah, I even got the auto shifter, although not visible in the pix. Sorry, the pix dont really do it justice still.

looks great…no hot spots either

what’s the bulb sizes. I’ve searched multiple times and keep coming up with bulbs that look way too big for the cluster.

Just think how much more efficient you are making your electrical system! There’s like 30+ bulbs and by switching to LEDs saves you energy!

Do you still experience dim dash lights when the brake lights come on?

Looks great! You should post up bulb sizes / locations. This is also on my plate of “things to do” :slight_smile:

supposedly there’s a guy that sells on clubintegra.com that sells LEDs…i just placed an order w/ him

I’m doing this currently in mine, the bulb sizes you’ll need are:

"2 194 “wedge” bulbs for the cluster (a third one will be needed if you plan on replacing the low gas light indicator, but only 2 are actually needed for lighting the cluster up)

3 74 bulbs for the cluster itself
2 74 bulbs for the light bar above the cluster (i didnt put them in for my conversion, though. I found it took away too much from the look I was going for)
2 74 bulbs for lighting behind the selector for where you want the air to blow
1 74 bulb for temp control
1 74 bulb for the ashtray
1 74 bulb for the cig light illumination

The light above the CD player/headunit, you have to buy an LED, solder (in series) the correct resistance (used two resistors, different ohms), then soldered that inline with the supplied positive/negative wires that were already there).

That should be all the correct lighting, listed above. This does not include any of the lighting for the hazard/defog/etc switches.

And this is what i copied from a user on HT and bought them accordingly. Now just waiting on my other LEDs to get here so i can finish it!

OK, here is what I found works the best. First, remove the gauge cluster and take out all the gauges. There will be some plastic tabs around the 194 bulbs,carefully break them off because they cause dark spots on the speedo. Then reassemble the cluster. You might also want to remove the blue plastic light diffuser like I did in the upper housing. This is more for darker bulbs, such as my UV leds. If you keep white then I would not remove the blue diffuser.
Ok, what I did was buy a bunch of 74 size LED’s in blue to make sure the color is even. I purchased two 194 led bulb bases and carefully transferred the LED and resistors to those bases. I did this because it is hard to match the colors of the 194 to the 74. Next is the climate controls. The fan switch and heater controls require 3 74’s. For the heater controls, I purchased bulbs with 3 LED’s, one facing each direction. They are a snug fit, so be careful installing them. Also, find some chrome stickers to line the housing with. This helps keep the light uniform. Ok after you put everything back in, make sure to test before reassembling the dash.
All LEDs were purchased from superbrightleds.com

Looks great, Too bright for my night blind ass thought :smiley: :up:

i just had a question, just got a g2. are the lights to the left and right of the steering wheel not supposed to light up? hazard, sun roof, mirror, swtiches etc?

since u seem to know alot about leds, do u know where the LED 67 wedge type can be found for the license plate? all i can find is 67 twist type

u might want to check it out im doing amber led for my brother right now

http://forums.g2ic.com/showthread.php?214004-brighten-up-the-cluster-a-bit

i like the climate control it looks really good havent started on my climate control yet though
was going to use my led strip inside the climate control look like shet LOL

i am doing this as we speak and we hooked up the two 194’s and the 3 74’s for the cluster itself and its only lighting up not even half of the cluster… help??

[QUOTE=demolisher;2273447]u might want to check it out im doing amber led for my brother right now

http://forums.g2ic.com/showthread.php?214004-brighten-up-the-cluster-a-bit

[/QUOTE]

holy crap the temp gauge is high!!

lol

Just did mine recently. Having an issue with the one that illuminates the climate control knobs…same issue with led and bulbs. The light doesn’t work. A couple times it came on then went out. I even re soldered the connections for those two wires and it still doesn’t work at all. Looks damn good other than that.

not a fan of blue, more like Amber or white.

Yeah white looks good. I did red, think it works well with the white needles.

I am reviving my old thread from the dead. Just got another g2 (for free haha) and several of the cluster bulbs are burnt out.