Need help identifying this part or what goes here

As title says…im stumped… since school is out i finally have time to look under hood n do some work… ive noticed this before n am finally deciding to stop being lazy with this… as u c in first 2 pics of my old engine its slightly diff then last pic of current engine… which looks like mechanic just slapped on the black thing n sealed with caulk… well im loosing oil quick… n ive noticed alot leaking out of caulk… Ive seen in other ppls car pics online that some of them have a piece bolted/connected to this… am i missing that or is it just optional???.. and what is its use???.. also do they sell a flat plate to just seal up hole if it is optional??? THX 4 any help

That is the cam end plug. you can get one from honda, acura, or an aftermarket one. you do need it. it’s easy to replace. snag one from honda for 5 bucks, generously apply some gray rtv (hondabond) and seal it up.

thx alot…so it has no real use but to just cover that hole…cuz i noticed bolt holes also and in this persons pic theres something attached to it

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u116/h93da6/Chadsbay.jpg

Different motor. You really don’t need anything there other than the plug, and as long as that doesn’t leak your thoughts are better placed elsewhere in your bay :up:

thats just for the vtec heads,

thats where the vtec solenoid goes for a b18a just plug:)

[QUOTE=ATLballers100;1962816]thx alot…so it has no real use but to just cover that hole…cuz i noticed bolt holes also and in this persons pic theres something attached to it

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u116/h93da6/Chadsbay.jpg[/QUOTE]

The vtec solenoid is not connected to that hole. all bseries use the same exact plug.

Yes and NO. The plug is the same no matter what motor you have yes, however the bolt holes he is talking of are for the Vtec motors as stated above.

[QUOTE=icemanGSR;1962842]… all bseries use the same exact plug.[/QUOTE]They CAN use all the same plugs, but they have a different part number for latter year B-series motor cam seal plugs of which you should get IF you aren’t going to get an aftermarket one. Reason being is because Honda realized the older design didn’t seal as well so they opted to putting a better/additional sealing rings on the newer B-series (later DC2s, etc.) cam seal plugs. So if you go OEM, get one made for a say 2000 B-series motor vs. one for your year car specifically. Or get aftermarket and call it a day. LIke others have said, it’s very easy to replace.

thx alot 4 info everybody :slight_smile: