Need help with sound coming from clutch tranny area

WEll here it goes there is a very irritating whining or humming noise coming from the clutch tranny area. I asked around some people i knew that had a bit more clutch tranny experience and most of them right off the bat said" oh yea that is your throw out bearing" because i said that it made the noise when the clutch was out push the clutch in and and is as quiet as a mouse… Okay ready for this went through the whole tranny pull to replace the throw out bearing. WHich i am sure some of you know how much fun that is this is the second time I have tackled this feat and am still not fun. THe first time i replaced the Clutch PP and The THROW OUT BEARING not 40000 miles ago… So can anyone tell me what might be the problem…THanks for any suggestions all will help am pulling out hair…Tired of hearing the noise and am trying to get ready to go to NOPI in Sept.

Ok-
Pedal in= quiet
pedal out= loud

That sounds like the imput shaft bearing. If you’ve never had a tranny apart before, trust me your just gonna want to start sourcing a used tranny. 20 dollar bearing, but the labor is $$!

When this bearing is gone, it kinda sounds like gear drive. You can keep driving it as long as you can, its just annoying as hell.

Assuming thats what it is. If you jus changed the pilot bearing and throwout bearing, then my moneys on the imput shaft bearing.

I’m thinkin i mite have the same probelm, mine is when im in first or second gear at lower rpms it soudns like besides the engine i have an extra gear goin that kinda wines and clicks… is this the sound, and if i dont fix it is it ok?

NO haven’t changed out the pilot bearing but that has been suggested as the problem now that I have fixed the throw out bearing. Let me know what you think…

I just went through this problem. It is called the Main Shaft Bearing part# 91002-ps1-003. $36.62 + 2.47tax = 39.09
“Get Professional Help” - if you can drop the tranny yourself and find a local shop that will install the bearing will be your best bet or just get another tranny!

Main shaft bearing…Happend to my friends Del Sol…

The part is cheap but the labour is a biiatch:shock:

Originally posted by CVG2
[B]Main shaft bearing…Happend to my friends Del Sol…

The part is cheap but the labour is a biiatch:shock: [/B]

Is there any consquences except streme annoyince to driving when u have this clicking noice comin from the tranny?

I am already having problem wit the syncros in 3rd so this is just another one on the list.

Well…

It is a bearing…So besides the noise, u might end up seizing something…

Juss think…What does a bearing do and what happends when it fails…

HTH…
If Im wrong, anybody clarify…But I think Im on the ball on this one…

Good luck to you…

cvg2: I think you are right … It probably has to be pressed in or something of the sort is that why you are talking about bringing it to a shop to have it installed? I am not messed up about dropping the tranny it would be my third time since i have owned the car and hell it has become natural just want to make sure i can fix it, if it has to come out again you know what i mean…?

definetly main shaft bearing it was a big prob. in ef’s also older preludes . mine started humming in 2nd like a week ago. after a while it will turn into a growl and it will start poppin out of gear. good luck its no fun i changed on in an ef b4.

You said you changed the throwout bearing and the pressure plate but did you change the pilot bearing?

Originally posted by dattegbol
definetly main shaft bearing it was a big prob. in ef’s also older preludes . mine started humming in 2nd like a week ago. after a while it will turn into a growl and it will start poppin out of gear. good luck its no fun i changed on in an ef b4.

I got a griding third and fed up main shaft WHY ME o well here coems rebuild tranny or ys1