new NGK oem spark plug wires
just got a tune up
ITR ecu

new parts just installed:
skunk2 stage 2 cams
portflow dual valve springs
TI retainers

before the new mods, it ran fine…
after cams, valve springs, and retainers were installed, the car would idle fine, warm up… idle fine still… then we would be able to rev it in one spot… but then when we drove it on the street… it idled really low, then everytime we held the clutch in. letting the idle drop, the car died… but we would be able to start it back up, hold the gas down for the idle, then drive like that.
now… we got a valve adjustment thinking it might help… it did, but then we still have the problem…

we’re thinking that it’s running too much fuel. since the ITR exhaust runs slightly richer to what i know… and since the cams cause the valve train to let more air in, the ECU compensates by adding more fuel, so it wouldnt run lean… does that sound right?

we’ve heard of people using nology grounding spark plug wires, and NGK V power spark plugs, and running fine.
then some shops told us it wouldnt help at all…

then there’s the options of getting a VAFC to tune the a/f ratio… or to purchase a MSD ignition to fire it up better…

what do you guys/gals think?

we need to get it up and running again…

turn the idle screw on TB counter clockwise a few turns…but be un plug the plug on the TB before turning the screw…it helped me when my idle would drop really low and die…

the idle screw has nothing to do with this… i’ve already messed with everything i could think of… the idle would be fine… then after we actually take it for a test drive… the idle changes, and drops…

does the ecu need to relearn the fuel maps and take into account for the cams? I dont know myself but it seems logical to me

Adjustable FPR + fuel filter…
VAFC…
injectors/rail?

IACV/TPS?

fpr comming in…
vafc - found a first gen one for cheap… but want to get the newer one, cause of some reviews of the first gen having some problems…

kev what do the plugs looks like?

a little black… they’re pretty new too…
about 3 weeks…

like too much fuel…

I dunno, but i think you need to sell me your cams.

and springs, and retainers?

not mine… :slight_smile:

this isnt to my car…

i’ve heard of some setups where you have to hold the gas down at idle to keep it from stalling…

also when a tps sensor goes bad it usually makes it idle high. because there are 3 places a tps sensor can be at. idle, midrange, or WOT. idle and midrange get used the most, and thus, have the most chance of getting worn out. when the idle position gets worn out then the computer thinks that it is at midrange and causes it to idle high. i doubt it would make the car stall

ecu takes just a few minutes to relearn any changes (more air flow, new fuel maps) so, it would have learned by now.