new rims, open ended wheel nuts

OK guys i got a new set of rims on my da a few days ago and my concern is im using my stock wheel nuts and they are open ended. the rim is a lot thicker than the stock steelies i had on it, and the nuts only screw in about half way so the nut is only halfway on. Is this something i need to worry about or is it normal?

Are you kidding me dude? If the nut is only on halfway then there’s NO WAY in hell that your setup can EVER be safe!

First of all, what rims did you get? Name? Brand? Aftermarket or stock? If they are aftermarket then you can’t use your stock lugs cuz the stock lugs have a ball type head (mainly used for stock wheels)… you will need tuner lugs which has a taper head.

They’re 16’’ speedy rims with a 205 45 tire on them, and all my lugs are tapered lugs not ball type. What I think the issue is the actual studs not being long enough cause the center of the tire s a lot thicker which means less stud to screw onto. My buddy had these rims on his 92 gs-r without extended studs. I just dont know if they came with a longer stud from factory than a 91 gs??

Ahhh now I see what you’re saying. Maybe the application for those rims are different from the stock 91 gs. I say if the lugnuts can go in at least 4 turns then you’re safe just as long as you used the correct type of lugnuts…

Post pics of the car with rims :read:

Be sure they are torqued to spec. I believe the spec is 80 or 85 ft-lbs.

You know what… just to be on the safe side… I’d suggest you just get extended studs… that way you will be able to sleep at night and not have to worry your rims will be rolling down the freeway… :read:

hahahaha yea that wouldnt be good. those extended wheel lugs will have to wait a paycheck or 2. Im flat broke lol. I got new lugs for it yesterday but i havent put them on yet. Ill post pics soon but they look kinda goofy sitting at stock ride height.

Like I said they look messed up without any lowering springs or anything. This is my new project and I havent devoted a lot of time or money to it yet so bear with me.

l_5b318e196f4d4dd88fdbafe5d4b2a87a.jpg

l_5fbef2336b8b451e871929e405e75a77.jpg

l_b307650db06c4e61a2c143be092d5d1b.jpg

l_e7374e1ee05640d194fc49b3a474bd8b.jpg

Hey I like those rims… kinda looks like SSR’s… now hurry up and lower it and get 1pcs lol :slight_smile:

Yea they kinda look like buddy club p1s to me. Yea I need to lower it soon and get it painted… Primer gray is not a good color at all… as soon as the money starts rolling in my suspension (springs,struts,drilled and slotted rotors,and paint the calipers) is the first thing to get done, then puttng inmy b20 thats been sitting in my garage for 2 years.,…

Hey, those rims are pretty nice. I would definetly go the safest possible route and get extended wheel studs, what brand lugnuts did you get? Sounds like you have some plans for it, but when it comes to the brakes skip on the drilled/slotted rotors. Go OEM blanks, trust me.:slight_smile:

Thanks man. OEM Blanks?? huh whats the reason behind that? My friend has drilled/slotted with organic compound brake pads on his gs-r and it looks so bad ass lol. Yea I have plans for it. I really want to make it a quick dd and fun as heck around the twisties. No forced induction, just an all motor b20 setup, plus about every two weeks we have an autocross event at my ag center which i would like to start entering. Ill prob go with the extended wheel studs. I only got a crappy set of lugs from autozone right now but in a few weeks (when i get paid) I would like to get a set of buddy club lugs and arp extended studs, springs and a short throw… but saving money with a girlfriend is almost impossible…

Well, drilled/slotted are much more prone to cracking and dont last very long. They look bad ass yes but i look at the other side of it. Im personally doing Legend dual pistons up front with either redrilled OEM Prelude rotors or Fastbrakes plain rotors, and RSX-S caliper/EP3 disc in rear with some high performance pad…thinking maybe Hawk HP-Plus not sure though.

In the future im going BBK, but id still like to stick with plain rotors.

Take closer pics of the wheel studs/lugnuts. Make sure you’ve got tapered lugs if the wheels are tapered, make sure you have ball/acorn lug nuts if the wheels take that type. If you don’t have enough threads engaged, torquing them down will not fix anything if you don’t have at least 18mm of threads engaged. In fact, you run the risk of stripping the wheel studs if there aren’t enough threads engaged. 80ft-lbs of torque is a lot if you’ve only got a couple threads engaged. If this happens, just hope that your lugnuts strip not the wheel studs.

Bottom line, take pictures. The threads need to be all the way through the open lugs. If not, they need to have 18mm of threads engaged. I’m sure you can do simple and figure out how many threads that equals, knowing the wheel stud thread pitch.

[QUOTE=chsscott;2084894]Take closer pics of the wheel studs/lugnuts. Make sure you’ve got tapered lugs if the wheels are tapered, make sure you have ball/acorn lug nuts if the wheels take that type. If you don’t have enough threads engaged, torquing them down will not fix anything if you don’t have at least 18mm of threads engaged. In fact, you run the risk of stripping the wheel studs if there aren’t enough threads engaged. 80ft-lbs of torque is a lot if you’ve only got a couple threads engaged. If this happens, just hope that your lugnuts strip not the wheel studs.

Bottom line, take pictures. The threads need to be all the way through the open lugs. If not, they need to have 18mm of threads engaged. I’m sure you can do simple and figure out how many threads that equals, knowing the wheel stud thread pitch.[/QUOTE]

OK man Ill take some pics soon. Unfortunatley I cant today because Im heading to Gatlinburg Tennessee (In my girlfriends car). Whats the difference in acorn style and tapered?? the lugs I bought from autozone are acorn style but the guy said they were the same as tapered?? Ill have to take the rim off and take a pic of the lugs too. It mght be tomorrow afternoon before I can get pics up. I think I might have a pic of the lugs I have on the car now… let me see if I can find it.

Here is the lug. Can you even tell if that wheel needs a tapered or the other one??

l_052f891f2c8346f0a01067b0177470aa.jpg

And thats the lugnut. But im getting new ones soon. just a temp fix… I hope. From What I have been reading acorn style lugs are for aftermarket rims so are tapered.

l_ec4f6af46c924034a2a74612da5eb344.jpg

So the lugnut on the wheel stud is not the lugnut you posted in the 2nd picture. You need to find out what type of lugnut your wheel takes, then use the proper type. Odds are it’s tapered/acorn, but only you can tell us that. If you don’t use the proper type of lugnut, there is a possibility that it won’t go on all the way.

Also, you didn’t address the mm of thread engagement. Once you get the right type of lugnuts on, that is the biggest concern. If the threads don’t protrude and there’s at least 18mm engaged, don’t worry about it as long as you’ve got them torqued to 80 ft-lbs.

Also, RE: the acorn thing, I misspoke. Acorn == Tapered.

EDIT: The black lugnuts are tapered, and the open-ended lugs on the wheels look like the OEM ball type. Odds are the wheels are taper fit, and that you want the tapered blag lugnuts on the wheels. But still, you’re going to have to take better pictures of both lugnuts, and the wheel lugnut seat area.

[QUOTE=chsscott;2084942]So the lugnut on the wheel stud is not the lugnut you posted in the 2nd picture. You need to find out what type of lugnut your wheel takes, then use the proper type. Odds are it’s tapered/acorn, but only you can tell us that. If you don’t use the proper type of lugnut, there is a possibility that it won’t go on all the way.

Also, you didn’t address the mm of thread engagement. Once you get the right type of lugnuts on, that is the biggest concern. If the threads don’t protrude and there’s at least 18mm engaged, don’t worry about it as long as you’ve got them torqued to 80 ft-lbs.

Also, RE: the acorn thing, I misspoke. Acorn == Tapered.

EDIT: The black lugnuts are tapered, and the open-ended lugs on the wheels look like the OEM ball type. Odds are the wheels are taper fit, and that you want the tapered blag lugnuts on the wheels. But still, you’re going to have to take better pictures of both lugnuts, and the wheel lugnut seat area.
[/QUOTE]

Im going to pull the lugnuts off tomorrow and replace them. The wheels take an tapered lug. I found that out about ten minutes ago. The ones on there now do look like a ball type lug but they are tapered. I took one off today before I left. I still dont know about the mm engagment but im sure its more than 18 mm and ill torque them to 80. Ill let you guys know more in the next few days. I appreciate all the help.