obd1 and obd2 throttle bodies

I have a stock b18a1 in my 92 integra. The car has been a major project since I bought it. Well ive gotten most things worked out and solved but I come to this one of late and that is with the throttle body. The throttle body that cam on the car is the stock obd1 b18 throttle body with the fast idle valve but the adjust ment screw is completely mangled and destroyed and also the map sensor has no connector going to it and can not find one anywhere in the bay. Check engine light is on but not sure as to why exactly. But there is a map sensor mounted on the firewall with a hose going to a port at the back of the intake manifold. The throttle position sensor is still there and doesnt seem to be broken. I bought whats turned out to be an obd2 throttle body from a friend for 20$ and im getting mixed feedback from various people. Saying the ecu wont read right if I use it and so on and so forth. But the gasket I ordered for my b18a1 lines up perfectly on the bottom of both throttle bodies… can anyone help me out please

Not sure exactly what you’re asking, you explained the general situation, but what do you need to know?

Will the obd2 throttle body work?.. and also is there one or 2 map sensors on the stock b18a1 like one on the throttle body and also one on the intake manifold? Or is there just 1 map sensor? The car has a check engine light on and if there are supposed to be 2 the fact that the one on the throttle body has no harness plugged into it could be a reason know what I mean

1. Check your CEL. Don’t assume, just check the code, it’s VERY easy.

2. Yes, an obd2 TB will work. Your car may not run perfectly, but it will work.

3. B series engines only have 1 MAP sensor. Your car originally came with a firewall mounted MAP, newer cars came with a TB mounted MAP.

Ok thanks for the input/info… this thread got 49 views And youre the only one to reply lol… I really appreciate it…im assuming the map sensor mounted to the throttle body is just to plug up the holes…what purpose does that fast idle valve serve?.. to me it seems to just be another restriction for the antifreeze

Sorry to threadjack here, but I was also wondering if the OBD2 Throttle position sensor from the B20B throttle body would work on my 92 B18A1 throttle body and if it would play well with my ECU or not. Even though the connector is the same it sounds like from this thread that’s not the case as far as the ECU goes, but I could be wrong.

Only reason I thought about it in the first place was due to the fact that the B20B TPS is held on by screws and the B18 is riveted(?) in place and I would say that the newer one would be in better shape. At the least I could pull the rivets and replace them with the screws out of the B20.

the rivets are threaded into the throttle body… I just used a dremel tool and cut a slit in the top of them and backed them out with a flat screwdriver… im going to put the same tps onto the new throttle body that way I can try to alleviate as many ecu issues I can with the obd2 throttle body]

You need to be more clear about your questions if you want help. You also can’t expect this to be on demand / instant help, give it some time and you’ll get help. And ALWAYS search before you post. Search MANY times before you post. Follow these rules and you’ll fit in, start posting like crazy about topics that have been covered to death… etc and people will either talk shit or ignore you (as they should).

I’m not sure why they switched to having the MAP sensor on the TB, functionally it seems to be the same either way. As for the FITV, that’s sorta old tech. My understanding is that it was a mechanical solution to idle issues for which they later on were able to deal with electronically via the ECU programming and that is why it’s only on the older cars. That’s totally a guess though. Same way our older motors had that dashpot valve whereas the new ones do not. Often these things can be removed and not have you actually show any negative effects. I know I removed both the FITV and dashpot valve on my LS motor 15yrs ago when I still had that engine and there were no problems I encountered. Of course I’m in CA, so if you live where it’s colder there may be problems - other driving conditions could play a role as well, so I don’t want to say they 100% aren’t needed.

[QUOTE=Overlord;2317024]Sorry to threadjack here, but I was also wondering if the OBD2 Throttle position sensor from the B20B throttle body would work on my 92 B18A1 throttle body and if it would play well with my ECU or not. Even though the connector is the same it sounds like from this thread that’s not the case as far as the ECU goes, but I could be wrong.

Only reason I thought about it in the first place was due to the fact that the B20B TPS is held on by screws and the B18 is riveted(?) in place and I would say that the newer one would be in better shape. At the least I could pull the rivets and replace them with the screws out of the B20.[/QUOTE]

Yes, you can dremel off the rivets and replace them with screws, this is what I did on mine. As far as I’m aware there is no difference between any of the b series TPS sensors and I would expect them to be interchangeable. I currently have an OBD2 TPS being used in conjunction with an OBD1 ecu so I know there aren’t any compatibility issues with that combo.

Yeah, I knew it could be done, I did it on my 1g CRX when I replaced the TPS. I just wasn’t sure about the ECU bit. Thanks bub for the info though.