obd2 shell to obd1 inspection question

sort of off topic, but when you convert a obd2 shell to obd1 to use the ostrich 2.0 setup to tune, what happens when you go to get an inspection and the plug the scanner in?? i’ve been researching for a while and haven’t found anything. asking cause a friend wants me to tune his 2000 si civic but we’d have to convert it to obd1 and he’s worried about passing inspection.

he wont the obd1 ecu wont/cant be read by the scaner

yeah but how does he tell the place inspecting the car that?? does he just say it’s a motor swap or does he need paperwork or anything?? sorry i should have specified a little more.

well its illegal to swap a motor in to a car when the motor is older then car.and in ny all cars 96 + up obd2 have to be plugged in.i am a ny car inspector

Yep, you wont pass…thats why you need to keep the stock OBD2 Injectors, ECU and Map sensor if you want a chance of passing :slight_smile:

ok so would i be able to use a conversion harness and obd1 ecu to tue with my ostrich, then swap back to stock obd2 for inspection? what are some cheap but good options for tuning this 2000 si?? a SAFC or emanage?

Convert to OBD1, use a Chipped ECU and tune. Stay away from piggy backs.