Odd Performance Problem (lagging acceleration)

I’ve got a weird problem with my 1990 Integra LS (with the 1.8 non-VTEC).

When accelerating from a stop (or while moving) about half the time pushing on the accelerator actually SLOWS the car down. It feels like you are letting off the accelerator while driving.

The lagging is very smooth. I will hit the accelerator, the car accelerates for a second, then slows down (or stops accelerating). Feeding it more pedal doesn’t help. Then it will gradually (over 1 or 2 sec) act like it should. It will strongly accelerate (depending on how much pedal I’m giving it).

Almost like it’s bogging down from a too-rich mixture. Maybe a timing issue? Throttle position sensor problem? I haven’t looked at it very closely yet, I wanted to possibly save myself some time if it’s a common problem.

Has anyone had a similar problem/solution?

Thanks,

Mike

The first thing that I would do is a complete tune up if you havent done one in a long time. That is a really common cause of the problem that you are having.
If that is not it, then the second thing to do is check to see if your O2 sensor is working correctly. Just unplug it and see if it changes how your car runs during acceleration. O2 sensors go bad in cars often and a lot of the time they wont trip the ECU into sending a CEL.

Try that and see what happens.

Later,
BR

Thanks for the info, I’ll give the O2 sensor trick a try and see what happens. It seems like an ECM problem (in terms of receiving bad sensor data). That’s why I thought about the throttle position sensor (does the Integra even have one?).

I’ll post my results in a few days.

Originally posted by noget
[B]That’s why I thought about the throttle position sensor (does the Integra even have one?).

I’ll post my results in a few days. [/B]
Yes, the TPS sensor on your integra is on the backside of the throttle body facing the firewall. It is held on by two rivets.

Let me know what you come up with after checking those things out and we will go from there.

Later,
BR

hey, ur problem seems similar to mine, just made a post "engine running rich?? " after u. However, my problem is between 1500rmp and 2500. After 3K the car shoots and responds perfect to accelerator position. In the bad range, adding more fuel seems useless, on the contrary, lifting up a little seems to help the car go, as if I’m flooding the engine with fuel… In addition to that, I’m suffering from low fuel consumption… My car has been tunned recently with the exception of the air filter unit (which is not too bad yet). My O2 sensor is not the cause since my engine doesn’t have one in the first place (my car is a honda and I’m not in the states… it came without O2 as we do not have emission control in this country) so any suggestions??

I’m having a similar problem with my 90 GS… sometimes it will hesitate like hell for a couple seconds and then come back to life and go! I just recently started smelling rotten eggs when i’m at WOT which means my cat is probably bad, maybe that could be the cause… I didn’t had the smell before… I also have shitty MPG…

I’ll keep you posted guys!

was there ever a solution to this problem? my car does this sometimes and it pisses me off and i cant figure out what it is. i have no check engine light on and 40% of the time the acceleration is fine and the other 40% is lagging (the other 20% im flooring it so its fine)

i have approx. 110k on it and i did the timing belt at 75k so its not that.
its only when i accelerate slowly, for example in traffic, or on a side street
and it seems to do it mostly on a warmer engine…

someone pleeese ¥¥¥¥ me because im gettin pissed off at this

:mad:

thanx

Originally posted by crazy seaman
[B]was there ever a solution to this problem? my car does this sometimes and it pisses me off and i cant figure out what it is. i have no check engine light on and 40% of the time the acceleration is fine and the other 40% is lagging (the other 20% im flooring it so its fine)

i have approx. 110k on it and i did the timing belt at 75k so its not that.
its only when i accelerate slowly, for example in traffic, or on a side street
and it seems to do it mostly on a warmer engine…

someone pleeese ¥¥¥¥ me because im gettin pissed off at this

:mad:

thanx [/B]

A new O2 sensor did the trick for me! :slight_smile:

(If you have a 90-91 with header, I suggest you retrofit a 4-wires O2 sensor… do a search if you need more info, I submitted a teg tips but it’s not online yet.)

i’ve had this problem for quite some time… and i just went to get my ase study sheets, and to my suprise the 3rd sample question was just this problem… it lists the answer as to consider your torque converter as a possible cause if you poor fuel economy and a laggy start off the line but one you get revs up it jets…

thats what mine does… even if i floor it until about 3000 rpm it just slugs, then it rockets after that… so i researched honda torque converters, and if you look on other boards i guess alot of honda torque converters are really bad at handling performance driving, and probably are damaged, with the amount of time ours have lasted… i can almost bet that is one of the culprits… take yours to aamco they can diagnose it for ya for free…
just remember this is just my $0.02

Originally posted by g2 faithful
even if i floor it until about 3000 rpm it just slugs, then it rockets after that…

That’s exactely what my car did when my Cat converter was clogged…