Oil Pan threads stripped

Aright im tired of loading up my drain plug with rtv and stil gettin a little drip after a while everytime i do an oil change. is there any way that i can put thread or rethread the inside of the oil pan i really dont wana change the whole pan.

… well i think i heard of oversized drain plugs being an option, but u gotta drill and retap the pan. some are selling oil pans here on the parts for sale forum. give it a check, might be cheaper to do it that way and is not exactly hard, its just inconvenient. especially waiting for it to out n stuff.

u should’ve used honda bond… prolly be less of a hassle for your situation, and u wouldn’t have to get retap the pan or replace it. but some dealers charge $20 for a tube of honda bond (at least around here in so cal). so try to decide what route u wanna go with. and good luck.

what you can do is weld a nut on the outside of the pan. You might even get away with JB weld. Then use a bolt that fits and call it a day.

If you go oversized, you’re just masking the problem and one day you’ll strip it again. Happened to me when i did the first oil change on the car, because the previous owner took it to a hole-in-the-wall shop that stripped the threads). Ended up getting the pan replaced and now its as dry as a bone.

edit: oor, you can buy an oil extractor which sucks out the oil from the dipstick tube, so once you stop the oil from leaking you dont even have to worry about the bolt anymore. But you still have to jack the car up to get to the filter unless you have small hands to get it from the top. Its debated whether or not it will suck up a lot of the gunk…well, i say since you have to warm up the car to get the oil nice and thin you’ll be stirring up any gunk that settled down anyway.

or JB weld one of those oil pan spigots or quick drain bolt/attachments on. That will work.

wow you guys make things really complicated.

take the pan off. find a new plug thats bigger then the original. find a tap for that plug. tap the hole. re install pan. finished.

or, if you like taking risk’s, just tap the hole while the pan is still on, just put a lot of grease on the tap to catch all the metal and prevent it from going into the pan.

I forgot what they are called, but mine has a plug that fits the pan, and is screwed in so it doesn’t leak. Then it has a center bolt that is loosened to drain the oil. So the outside with the bad threads doesn’t get used. Not a permenant thing either if it is not done properly.

i saw this… might give it a try
http://www.1800oilplug.com/

I forgot what they are called, but mine has a plug that fits the pan, and is screwed in so it doesn’t leak. Then it has a center bolt that is loosened to drain the oil. So the outside with the bad threads doesn’t get used. Not a permenant thing either if it is not done properly.

i was going to say the same thing. my buddy does that with customer cars if they had any problems with the threads on the pan.

they sell these at kragen i think…

another option, if you arent lowered a lot. there’s the type that looks like a gold brick. you screw that in, and there’s a ball bearing, against a spring, and it has a little lever. so you wont have to unscrew the thing out anymore, but you will just have to get under there, and lift up & over this lever. it is pretty strong, and wont leak.

but like i said, it would not last on a very low car…

[QUOTE=tegboi;1828295]i was going to say the same thing. my buddy does that with customer cars if they had any problems with the threads on the pan.

they sell these at kragen i think…

another option, if you arent lowered a lot. there’s the type that looks like a gold brick. you screw that in, and there’s a ball bearing, against a spring, and it has a little lever. so you wont have to unscrew the thing out anymore, but you will just have to get under there, and lift up & over this lever. it is pretty strong, and wont leak.

but like i said, it would not last on a very low car…[/QUOTE]

fumoto valve

http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/

the ones without the nipple they say only sticks out 1/2" past the oem drain bolt so…

[QUOTE=tilegend;1828279]i saw this… might give it a try
http://www.1800oilplug.com/[/QUOTE]

do u guys no wat size ours is? i mite give that a try or the jb weld a nut on the outside. ive never retapped anything so idk if i wana try that unless sum1 lets me no how to do that

14mm thread size

im thinkin about gettng it but i really dont see how that would work and i went to advance auo a while back and asked for the drain plug and he gave me th size for our car so im guessing a 14 mm but it was waaay to small. i remember one time i droped my car off to get my oil changed and i told them abou the stripped and wen i got it back they sed they rethread it so i hink they put a bigger drain plug but now its leaking again

there’s a bunch of used LS and B16 oil pans for sale on houston-imports for like 25 bucks. i think that’s your best option at this point.

i no but i really dont wana go through the hassle of swapping the whole pan out but if i cant get it fixed i will. btw where u located in houston?

well in that case i would go back to that shop…

if they oversized it… its probably 14.5mm

[QUOTE=tilegend;1828388]well in that case i would go back to that shop…

if they oversized it… its probably 14.5mm[/QUOTE]

the shops in jersey i live in houston tx now

i’m in sugarland. and you gotta look at it this way. what’s harder, taking an hour to drop the pan, and fix the problem for good, or worrying that youre makeshift repair is going to break at any time, or at any oil change?? personally, i prefer to fix it right the first time, and not have to worry about it ever again.

what size bolt is the oil drain plug supposed to be? i think mine was retapped, it appears to be leaking from there as well as all over the gasket.