Overheating

First off, I’ll list what i have replaced since i bought the teg (in july)…

Themostat housing
Radiator
Hoses
Heater control valves(2)
that might not be it… but thats all i can think of ATM.
now I’m gonna try and hard wire the fans tommorrow, because i don’t think that one is coming on… it always used to come on after I’d drive for a while and then shut it off… but recently it hasn’t been…temp goes up at idle to about 75% then drops back to around 50 while driving… any help is appreciated

you said you replaced the thermostat housing…i assume you made sure to change the thermostat itself, right?

also, did you bleed the coolant system? air in the system can cause it not to cool properly.

Only one of those fans will come on. The fan on the drivers side is the a/c fan, the other one is the cooling fan.

Like Colin said, did you replace the thermostat when you did the housing? That is where I would start followed by the coolant system bleed.
If those dont work then you probably have a bad water pump.

Later,
BR

i will be taking the teg to a shop today… I’m not 100 % sure that the thermostat was changed with the housing, I’ll make sure to ask them. I’m pretty sure that there is no air in the system, I had it all flushed and replaced about a month ago, and it was done professionally. The cooling fan is the one that isn’t coming on… I’m not positive about the a/c fan, but i think it is working properly. The thing is, my parents always thought something was wrong with the car because the cooling fan would stay on after the car was shut off, but recently, that hasn’t been the case.

Damn cooling system, i just can’t seem to get it working poroperly… and now i gotta spend some of the money that i put back for tires on it… I love my car, but having a 12 yr olkd car and being in high school with no job is just one big headache.

PS: like i said… if the shop doesn’t find the problem, i’ll hard wire the fans to make sure that the motors are working properly.

thanks guys. i appreciate the help

There are times that the cooling fan will stay on after you turn the car off and that is completely normal. As long as the fan turns off it is alright.

The only time that the a/c fan should come on is when your a/c is on, other than that it is just there for looks and extra weight.

Is your car only overheating at stops (lights, signs, etc.) just to hvae the temp go back down when you start going again or is it all the time??

Later,
BR

Yes the car only overheats at stops, then it goes to near normal when i start goin again… goes to maybe 80-90% at stops, then down to about 50-55% while driving… normaly it runs at about 45% but i attribute the 55% to the malfunction…

damn cooling system is one big headache

Originally posted by RDaffectX
[B]Yes the car only overheats at stops, then it goes to near normal when i start goin again… goes to maybe 80-90% at stops, then down to about 50-55% while driving… normaly it runs at about 45% but i attribute the 55% to the malfunction…

damn cooling system is one big headache [/B]
That is a classic description of a stuck thermostat. Change out your thermostat and you should be good to go from there on out.
It is an easy job that you should be able to do without spending a buttload of money at a shop.

Later,
BR

alright thanks man… i was hoping it wasn’t the fan… that would prolly cost me at the shop… I’ll let them do the thermo though… my alt is goin bad and needs done so they can do em both at the same time…
Do you thinkthe car would be okay if i drove it without getting fixed for a week or so more… because as soon as my wheels and tires get here, I’m gonna be getting them put on… and since it’s all getting done at the same place… why not save them the hassle and get it done at once ?

I dont think that you should wait on something like that. Just get it done, whether it is by your or not. You dont want to risk damaging the engine by waiting on an overheating problem. The worse case scenerio is that your block and/or head could warp and then you would have to get a new head gasket and some machine work done while your at it.

Later,
BR

okay then… i’ll get it done pronto… thanks for your help