Painting chrome piece on near front windshield

Has anyone attempted to paint the two chrome pieces on the front windshield? It’s on top at both corners. It’s part of the window trim i think. I was thinking, it would look better in black, and i want to paint the windshied wipers black also. Any easy way of removing the chrome trim pieces?

They are not chrome they are aluminum and they were originally black.

oh, i know they’re not chrome, just chrome color. So can i just sand it off?

You cant sand off the aluminum sense the whole corner is made of it. I would just clean and get a black paint that will stick to it.

Yeah, that’s what i was thinking. Is it easier to just take it off, and paint it?

I have no idea how to take it off… I am sure its easy to paint it thought once you do get it off.

Was that your car on H-T that I commented about or is this just a coincidence?

I tried searching for the carbon roof cap install thread which talks about how to remove all of those parts, but I couldn’t find it… You can paint those windshield moldings with them on the car, just mask 'em off really well. Be sure to use a Semi-flat or Matte black paint (rustoleum has a color that works very well). If you use flat or glossy it will stand out as not quite looking right…

No need to sand unless there’s something that needs to be removed, just make sure the parts are cleaned really well, maybe scuff 'em up with a scotch brite. The nice thing is that rattle can paint is cheap, so if they get chipped or start to fade you can just paint 'em again. I’ve had to paint my wipers a few times over the past 10yrs, but it’s so easy that it’s not a problem.

I’ve been meaning to do this too. Some BBQ stove paint should work well. I use that stuff for everything. Goes on nice and dries quick.

[QUOTE=Colin;2144896]Was that your car on H-T that I commented about or is this just a coincidence?

I tried searching for the carbon roof cap install thread which talks about how to remove all of those parts, but I couldn’t find it… You can paint those windshield moldings with them on the car, just mask 'em off really well. Be sure to use a Semi-flat or Matte black paint (rustoleum has a color that works very well). If you use flat or glossy it will stand out as not quite looking right…

No need to sand unless there’s something that needs to be removed, just make sure the parts are cleaned really well, maybe scuff 'em up with a scotch brite. The nice thing is that rattle can paint is cheap, so if they get chipped or start to fade you can just paint 'em again. I’ve had to paint my wipers a few times over the past 10yrs, but it’s so easy that it’s not a problem.[/QUOTE]

I don’t go on H-T, but thanks for the advice. I just hate masking the entire car just for the two little pieces, but i guess it has to be done.

Haha, funny coincidence cause I was just commenting on a car over there and mentioned they needed to spray the same items you’re asking about… If you can find that carbon roof cap installation post you will have your instructions on how to remove that piece.

EDIT I was mistaken, my comment was on NWP, not H-T (I have a tendancy to get the “G2” threads mixed up on those sites since they’re so similar). I’m “cLen” on NWP.

I just taped off the two pieces and used some 400 grit sand paper and scuffed up the surface then primed it then sprayed the black followed by a little clear for added protection. Just use a paint that will adhere to aluminum or metal.

Those parts are a pain to remove and you are likely to screw up something by removing them if you don’t know how to and have never done it before. I redid mine by taping them off and using plenty of newspaper to cover most of the top of the car and the windows. Use a scotch brite pad to scuff it up. Then use Self Etching Primer, its a nessesity for painting bare metals. I used Duplicolor trim paint with good results. Like someone else said this is a good opportunity to paint the wiper arms.

Good luck!

i JUST painted the corners, wipers, and around my quarter window metal moldings. (they also get all worn out). i used self etching primer and krylon satin black and they came out pretty good. just make sure u “PROPERLY” mask off. spray paint could be an effective cheap fix, or make your car look JANKY! Its crazy how big of a difference those lil touch ups will make. G.L!

i sanded it, and used this:
http://www.amazon.com/Kiwi-Leather-Dye-Black/dp/B000UA2L8Y

seemed to do the job – you won’t be able to tell from a distance at all.

needed to apply a few layers between drying. it has been months and it seemed to do the job. Also works well on the wiper blades that faded.

Aluminum is notoriously hard for paint to stick to. A zinc chromate primer (can be purchased in a spraycan where auto paint is sold) should go on the bare aluminium before you paint.

After that any paint will do. I find duplicolor bumper and trim paint (flat black) matches OEM flat real well.

As the other posters mentioned, just make sure to clean it really well (rubbing alcohol) scuff it with a brillo pad or 1000 sandpaper and take the time to tape it off properly.

I just removed mine today. Here’s how I did it:

1. lift up on the corner of the molding. The outside of the rounded area. A clip should release the molding from its attachment to the windshield. The molding is now only attached to the other two pieces of molding.

2. pull the top of the molding towards yourself (if standing right by the mirror). Basically you need to pull the molding off of the upper windshield molding - it should slide right off the end of the upper windshield molding.

3. now do that same thing but slide it off of the side windshield molding. This is much more difficult as its a very tight fit. Pull upward to slide it off, be carefully to hold the side windshield molding in place because it will slide up and down a bit.

[QUOTE=Colin;2147478]I just removed mine today. Here’s how I did it:

1. lift up on the corner of the molding. The outside of the rounded area. A clip should release the molding from its attachment to the windshield. The molding is now only attached to the other two pieces of molding.

2. pull the top of the molding towards yourself (if standing right by the mirror). Basically you need to pull the molding off of the upper windshield molding - it should slide right off the end of the upper windshield molding.

3. now do that same thing but slide it off of the side windshield molding. This is much more difficult as its a very tight fit. Pull upward to slide it off, be carefully to hold the side windshield molding in place because it will slide up and down a bit.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the tip. i have to go to the junkyard and try this, just to make sure hahaha.