Painting Clear tails and sealing to prevent leaks...

…I got a set of clear tails I am gonna paint red on bottom. I searched clear tails, painted tails, painting tails and no luck. I got em off ebay and a fellow member said they are a cheaper model…so I figure I would wanna use silicone or something and seal around them to prevent moisture ? which area does moisture typically get in ? where bulbs go in, or where they piece together.

The main part is how do I paint them properly since its a plastic…should I primer them? like mask off, and sand with a light grit or what? I have no clue. I got some candy apple red spray paint thats transparent already…just waiting for it to warm up to paint em. And didnt know if I should paint them straight across or follow the red like the stock ones do and it kinda goes all the way around the edge and by the vents…

any comments appreciated…

thx
-Ryan

Can’t answer all of that. But when i put my stock lights back together, i just heated the sections and stuck them together using the silicone that was still stuck on it. worked fine. As for primering? Umm… primer isn’t clear… your tails white light up… right? or am I just assuming again? You know what they say about assuming.

thats true. dunno if they have clear primer. Just figure I have to prep them somehow, cause I’d see it fish eyeing up…

They make clear primer for non-metallic surfaces. Might not need it though depending on what kind of paint you use. And there are tons of posts on this subject you just need to think about how others would word it… try tail lights not tails;)

AcIntegraLS

You have mail

http://www.g2ic.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63670&highlight=clear+tail+lights