Pics of led gauge conversion - 56k grab a beer

I just finished putting in my uv leds to light my gauges. I replaced the two at the top of the cluster that light the needles. Then, I painted the needles with a flourscent paint so they would glow at night. The gauge faces are just some generic reverse indiglos i picked up off of ebay. You can’t really tell from the pictures, butthe needles reallt glow and it gives it a really cool effect.

I did roughly the same thing with the painted needles that glow under UV light (you can sorta see in my avatar). I am using a 8" black light that works really well that I got in the rice aisle at the local parts store, but my question to you is, where did you get UV LED’s.
I know that it is only a matter of time before that POS rice light that I am using will die and i would rather do LED’s instead

thanks,
ryan

How many LED’s did you use? I did the same thing except I used 4 red LED’s I got from the Shack.

you can buy LEDs off ebay specially made to fit gauge clusters and small interior lights, they are a direct drop in with to resistors to add or anything. I bought 4 or 5 blue ones for behind the gauge cluster and then 2 UV LEDs for the top.

It looks pretty cool and gives the car’s interior a more modern feel. The LEDs were super cheap too.

I used two uv leds on the top of the cluster that i bought from here. They are a direct replacement for the 74 size bulb that is stock. They already hve the resistors wired in, so all you have to do is plug them in.

archivethis

I did the same thing, but just wired up my own LEDs, bought 50 for $10 on Ebay. I have lots of spares, anyone need some?

are they UV and what setup reistor wise is needed for them on a 12V system?

They are UV LEDs, and the resistors I was sent are 470 ohm resistors. The LEDs are designed for a voltage drop of ~3.3 volts, so if you ue 4 in series you need no resistors, etc.

:werd:

how long did it take to do the total install? how easy would it be to screw this up?

Looks great but i dont want to make any problems

It’s real easy. For the indiglos, all you have to do is remove your gauge cluster and slip the faces on over the stock gauges. Then you use a dremel to cut a small hole in the bottom of the cluster to run the wires for the new faces. Once that is done, you switch out the bulbs at the top of the cluster and remove the blue piece of plastic. Then, piant the needles with a flourscent orange paint. After that you tap into a power and ground for your gauge faces. I tapped into the dimmer circuit, but make sure it is the constant power you are using and not the variable power that actually dims the lights. After that, just put everything back together. To be honest, the hardest part is gettring the damn speedo cable to go back into the back of the cluster. It only took me about 3 hours from start to finish. All in all, it is a pretty easy DIY project

did you get the ones on the top of [url=]http://superlumination.com/74.htm that page? How many would you recommend getting (what approx length of life do they have)?

Those are the ones. I just got two because that is all there is on the top of the cluster. They are leds, so they should last a really long time.

Have you or will you do the rest of your interior? I’ve wanted my gauges and dash to match every since I swapped the gauges, but have heard little to nothing about it.

I did the two leds behind the climate control, the one behind the ac knob, the cig lighter illumination, and the ashtray. It looks pretty sweet, but the pics didn’t show up very well. I want to do the buttons on the dash like the cruise, fogs, defrost, and hazard, but i don’t know what size bulbs they use.

Cool. Could you share the info on the LED’s for the pieces you’ve done. Hard or no? Thanks.

It’s realy easy. They just plug into the stock location and already have resistors wiredinto them, so you don’t have to worry about soldering. You can get the leds here

Oh. I love plug n play.