porting stock IM/TB or aftermarket?

hey guys i’ve been trying to see if anyone has ported their intake manifolds and throttle bodies to 68mm before?
i’ve seen someone on this forum port their throttle body to 65mm but not both… would it be better to
do that or to just get an aftermarket IM/TB like skunk2? is the airflow different from a stock im/tb (if it was 68mm)
and a skunk2? thanks in advance.

[QUOTE=vichigen2;1817272]hey guys i’ve been trying to see if anyone has ported their intake manifolds and throttle bodies to 68mm before?
i’ve seen someone on this forum port their throttle body to 65mm but not both… would it be better to
do that or to just get an aftermarket IM/TB like skunk2? is the airflow different from a stock im/tb (if it was 68mm)
and a skunk2? thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Do you have an engine that is modified enough to need a huge throttle body and intake manifold? If you answered no to the previous question then go on to the next question. Why not just gasket match the TB and have the Intake manifold hot tanked and cleaned? I have done both ways, and if your car isn’t setup for the need of extra air flow(IE: bigger injectors, Turbo, or an off the wall NA setup). Then just gasket match the Throttle body and have the intake manfold Hot tanked(chem dipped)

oh well right now i just have basic i/h/e and planning on gettin crower cams with valvetrain, going for NA.
i was just thinking if i was gonna get a bigger tb/im why not do it now before i get the cams/valvetrain.
but i guess i should just wait til’ i purchase the internals first?

theres nothing to stop you opening out the tb and im. i would atleast smooth the intake and port match the tb and intake, also port match the intake to the head. dont go too big in the tb as you kill throttle sensitivity. decresing the restriction in the inlet track will always help. that with a set of cams and you should have a fun, revvy engine.

regards jeff scanlan

oh yeah port matched for sure, was aiming for 68mm port matched. alright thanks thats all i needed to know =D

wasnt there a site discussed on here that ported TBs for cheap? ($60)

Not quite $60, but maxbore.com did mine. P30 TB to 64mm for $100.

yeah the people im going to will do my im and tb port matched for 125…

You can’t port your stock TB to 68mm… There isn’t enough material. I believe 64mm is as large as you can go with a B18 TB. The B20 can go a little larger, but not 68.

68mm sounds a little too large for your setup anyway. with just I/H/E and even the cams, you don’t need that much flow. I’d go with 62mm.

maxbore.com has a good reputation

he must be a big fan of “bigger is better” with a 68mm tb whether it was port matched n all, and with his setup… assuming it’ll be a while between this mod and the cams… that he would be losing power until higher rpms. but yeah having that and even cams… and a stock bottom end… seems a lil half assed to me. cams benefit from higher compression pistons (if going n/a) which he seems like he’s doing. but its all good i guess. got the money go for it.

u should prolly put bigger injectors already… wouldnt hurt. then get ur tb bored if it can even go that big… coughs