Power steering removal... where to loop

I want to remove my power steering pump ASAP, but want to be sure of where to loop the system to minimize excessive hosing. I’m wondering for those who removed it completely, did you just loop the hoses going to the pump or did you cut them and loop it somewhere closer to the rack. Also how much fluid did you empty / leave inside. TIA

ttt

on the speed sensor I just put a U fitting on it. Everything else I pulled ALL the hoses.

I’ve been running no fluid in my rack for over 2 years (80,000kms) with no problems.

what if you don’t put a loop on where it connects to the speed sensor?

On one side is a checkvalve. the fluid would be pushed out.

Would you guys mind posting some pics? I’ve had my PS belt off for a while, and I’m pretty sure it’s staying off, so I figure I should just get rid of my pump too. But again, pics would be great. Is removing the pump, draining the fluid, and re-routing the hoses difficult?

I plan to remove mine real soon. I have an 1985 Civic CRX and it came stock with no power steering, I love it!! When i do it i will take some digital pics. Does anyone know a great site to post them on??

If you’re going to be going fast (like over 80 or 90 for road racing or something) I’d leave it on. I love the manual steering on my civic but above 80 it’s way too light, one little wrong twitch and you’re toast. If you are really set on it do it right, get a civic rack from an EF or something (maybe you can use the whole front LCA mounts and everything, they just unbolt and house the rack). HTH.

Can someone please post some pics of what hoses to re-route where? I want to remove my PS entirely, both the pump and resevoir. I looked though, and there are quite a few hoses coming into/going out of the pump and resevoir. How much does the pump weigh?

DAMN! I wish i has a digi-cam … I have a speed sensor on my work bench … argh … I’ll see what I can do.

running yoru car with no fluid isnt bad for thge steering… its only bad for teh pump if you run it dry

So I think there are three hoses coming out of the resevior and two coming out of the pump. Is there some way to just loop these three together? If so, what hoses loop where? And can you drain all the fluid out of your system?

You want to loop it at the speed sensor … I’ll post pics in a couple mins.

EDIT: shiz, I’ll have to e-mail em to ya … can anyone host em for me?

Why is it dangerous to have no PS when traveling at 80 or 90? Don’t you get more road feedback with the PS system off?

yea… it feels better without power steering… if you run it wit no fluid… the pump goes bad… i donmt think teh rack goes bad

Originally posted by pleather
yea… it feels better without power steering… if you run it wit no fluid… the pump goes bad… i donmt think teh rack goes bad

Well, if you drain the fluid you’re probably going to take the pump off anyway…

Originally posted by startroops
Why is it dangerous to have no PS when traveling at 80 or 90? Don’t you get more road feedback with the PS system off?

If you’re talking to me I said that because the car feels unstable with no PS. The steering is really really light and if you are doing those speeds on a road course you probably dont want to have the car feel unstable when standing on the brakes and entering the corner. Thats just my opinion, though. For drag racing it doesnt matter.

Ben

Any updates yet? Pics would be super…

the ps is disabled at high speed remember. ive been driving with no belt for a few days and i kinda like it driving straight with slight turns, but bigger turns suck horribly so im gonna put it back on after my race