Pr3-3??????

Well I bought a head that is supposed to be a type R, but I really have my doubts. I bought it off the net and now I think I got ripped off. The stamp on it is PR3-3, and from what I’ve heard is that it’s a plain old b16 head, I’ve read a bunch of other crap too. searching the forums didn’t help either. anyone have any ideas??? I can take pics of it and post them, just tell me what part of the head to take a picture of and I’ll do it, maybe I can find out what I really bought. Thanks

Well, the only thing I can tell you is that both b16 and b18c5 heads are PR3 heads. I’m sure the answer is in the second 3 though. If you’ve ever seen b16 cams it should be obvious whether the cams have bigger lobes. Also the valve springs should have the dual design to them(first gen b16’s were the only ones with the single springs). And if you took a pic of the combustion chambers someone on here should be able to tell if they have a mild p&p as the type-r head does. Good luck man, down with scammers. :down:

pr3-3

i thought pr3-3 was the type r head, and pr3-4 is ab16…or maybe is pr3-2…i dunno, my b17 is a pr3-4 and almost positively sure that type r is pr3-3…ill let you know asap…double springs on intake and exhaust is a type r head…another way to know…hit you up later

Originally posted by whiteyg2RS
Also the valve springs should have the dual design to them(first gen b16’s were the only ones with the single springs).
94-01 GSR’s also had single springs on the exhaust side. Some of the B16A heads have dual springs and some have single (on the exhaust side). There was a debate about this awhile back with no real conclusion whether it was just the automatic B16’s that had single springs.

Going by the PR3-x stamp will not tell you whether it’s a B16A or B18C5 head, different ITR’s will have different ending digits - same with the B16A. If you look at the cam holder that the distributor mounts to it should be painted green along with that corner of the head - that’s one way to tell if it’s a B18C5. Also, the indicators on the ends of the cams will tell you what car they’re from.

Well, if any of the springs are single then you can tell it isn’t a type-r head. So I guess the only way to really tell if it is a type-r head is to take it to someone who can tell the difference.

Originally posted by whiteyg2RS
Well, if any of the springs are single then you can tell it isn’t a type-r head. So I guess the only way to really tell if it is a type-r head is to take it to someone who can tell the difference.
Or try taking off the valve cover, won’t you be able to see the double springs?

Listen to LeftCorner. Look for the GREEN stamp/stripe near the distributor.

Ya theres a green stamp, I couldn’t really tell what was what just due to in experience, but a friend of mine looked through everything and we figured out it was a true type R head. Thanks for the help guys, I didn’t want to get burned 800 bucks. peace

Aaron

Hey I got a stamped PR3-2 which engine dose it come from …

My B17 has that same stamp. The year stamp is 92. But next to the distributor on the cam ends i have "30"and below that “2” i have no clue what any of this means. I have have read a lot of forums and posts and have not yet found a definitive answer as to if its the original head or if it has been swapped out. I can post pictures if it might help.