Problems with Matrix coilovers with Koni Yellows

Has anybody ran into problems with installing Matrix coilovers with Koni yellows. The rear of the car is still sitting on the rear bumpstops when the rear coilovers are adjusted to the maximum height. I have verfied the following:

bumpstops installed
washer to prevent the strut from going through the top
non threaded sleeve at bottom

These coilovers are similar in looks to the Maxspeed coilovers. The fronts are working correctly.

Thanks!

are you using stock bumpstops? or ones that came with the koni’s? Were they cut? How long are the bumpstops?

Koni’s don’t come with bump stops and most of us cut a ¼ inch of our OEM ones when fitting them on the Koni’s.

Did you install the perches the correct side up? Having them upside down will certainly cause the simptom that you described. Also, since you are using coilovers, in your case it would be fine to install the koni perch snap-rings on the highest settings if the former doesn’t cure your predicament.

Originally posted by 91IntegGS
are you using stock bumpstops? or ones that came with the koni’s? Were they cut? How long are the bumpstops?

I have coilovers, and i’m still on stock shocks, and teh coilovers came w/ a bumpstop looking thing. I’m i supposed to just use that ans remove my stock bumpstops? I did already but i’m just wondering. thanks

Peace
JImmy

Unfortunately, that is the problem with having Konis matched to any sleeve type coilover kits. The problem is that the unfixed rear perch on the Konis meets the shock body much lower than its stock counterpart. Add to that the fact that most sleeve kits come with shorter 7" springs and you’ve got the problem you’ve got now. About the only thing I can think of that will help will be:

1. trim the bumpstops
  2. raise the Koni snap ring position
  3. order taller rear springs
    Hope this helps.

The konis are adjusted all the way at its highest perch setting. The rear of the car is sitting way too low so even if I cut the bumpstops, there will be no spring travel. The rears is basically sitting on the struts. I read somewhere that ground control coilovers have a special adapter for koni struts. Not sure if that will work in this application. I tried installing aftermarket lowering springs on the coilovers and it seems to work pretty good. Thanks for all the good advice.

Any other tips??

Originally posted by nrgflow
[B]The konis are adjusted all the way at its highest perch setting. The rear of the car is sitting way too low so even if I cut the bumpstops, there will be no spring travel. The rears is basically sitting on the struts. I read somewhere that ground control coilovers have a special adapter for koni struts. Not sure if that will work in this application. I tried installing aftermarket lowering springs on the coilovers and it seems to work pretty good. Thanks for all the good advice.

Any other tips?? [/B]

The GC adapters for Konis are sleeve adapters to keep the sleeve from moving from what I can tell. You were able to put lowering springs on your adjustable perches and it works? Woah… Fortunately for me, my Skunk2s give me a liveable amout of rear travel but I might eventually get longer rear springs in another spring rate.

I’ve installed Matrix coilovers on stock shocks before and if I remember correctly the springs are extremely short. Did you make sure to install the threaded collar correctly (it’s not upside down). Same thing with the spring perches, they aren’t upside down are they? Other than that there’s not much you can do. You might need to just sell them and get a different brand with taller springs, ie: Ground Control or Skunk2.

LeftCorner - Yeah the unthreaded portion of the sleeve is at the bottom and the spring perches are correct with cup facing up. Do you recall the serial number that is imprinted on the Matrix rear springs?

Agent87 - Lowering springs worked pretty well. The only thing that I noticed is the coilover springs are flat on the ends and the lowering springs are at a slight angle. I thought that there was a possibility of the springs coming off the adjustable collar but it worked good.

What was Matrix and Maxspeed thinking when making their coilovers? I think that I will end up either using different lowering springs for the rears or picking up a set of GCs. I am surprised that more people hasn’t run into this issue.

Thanks guys!

sounds like im gonna have a problem on my hands. ive got maxspeed:(

FYI-

I just talked with the company where I purchased my Matrix coilovers from and told him about this issue. He looked into it and found out that there are spacers available that will enable the coilovers to work with Koni struts. I am not sure if Maxspeed has these spacers but they are similar.

Please keep us updated. These spacers sound interesting and if they work with the Skunk2 kit, I think I’d be interested.

so is there no way to use maxspeed coilovers and koni yellows?

The spacers are on its way right now as we speak. As soon as I get them, I can post some pics and measurements. I am running Matrix coilovers right now but the Maxspeeds should be pretty similar. Will keep you updated.

Just got my spacers but they look like they are just the regular sleeves but cut. They are the same OD as the sleeves I already have but 1 1/2" long to make up for the loss of height from Koni Yellows. Installed them and it does not give me much freedom for adjustment. So I wrote back to the dealer and still awaiting reply. In the meanwhile, I went to the local hardware store and bought 2" OD galvanized piping with the length that I need for $2 a piece. I am going to use them as spacers and see what happens. Looks like they will work way better than the spacers the dealer sent me.