Proper Rack depowering

I’ve been toying around with the idea of swapping to an EF rack. I currently have a depowered rack using the old write up from G2ic. Before I spend the money on a new rack I wanted to check on a major question that I have not seen answered anywhere. For EG’s and DC’s they depower the rack by removing the middle ring on on the steering rack. My brother did this in his EG and it worked out very well. My buddy also did this on his Miata (Miata write up). Why has this not been recommended for DA’s (write-up). When I look at the parts diagram it appears to have the same ring??

2014-12-18_11-55-39.jpg

So what’s wrong with removing the pin or valve from the original rack?.
Or a ef rack, just use outer and inner da arms.

Well from my research, removing the pin or valve is not the correct way to depower the rack. Seems to me it should be done correctly or I should purchase the EF rack. Before I attempt to take apart my rack and remove the ring I wanted to see if anyone has done this before on a DA.

Well… I guess I’ll be the first one to try this for a DA since no one knows. I followed the original G2 instructions and noticed that there is still some air pressure present in my current depowered rack due seeing a few trips of fluid from the old line area. By removing the middle seal it is supposed relieve all pressure and as far as I understand the correct way to depower. With the EG and Miata depowering, with no pressure present all lines were weld up and plugged. I’ll give it a shot and post up my results.

Him, I’m interested in your results. I’ve been wanting to remove my power steering for awhile, just didn’t trust the methods out there to do so… mostly because I don’t understand the system enough to go ripping parts out!

That’s how I did it on a BB4 Prelude. I would do the same for the Integra and plug the fitting inlets/outlets once complete.

I about to do the same thing. Is there a rebuild kit for rack and does it need the fine adjustment to be done to it afterwards?

Any updates? Got my car torn apart due to the wreck, and am gonna finally do this correctly. PO just cut the lines and left them hanging. If not I’ll just do the old loop method.

I need an update on this also.

I know it’s not the exact thing but it’s close to ours.
Watch “How to Build & Upgrade Steering Rack for EK with Michael Flare” on YouTube
https://youtu.be/R3d2ta61tvA