question about wiring up HID harness

[QUOTE=fcm;1828695]It will work, but without knowing how long the “ballast” can be off, [we are talking less then a split second] before it needs to “restart” there is no way to know if if there will be any noticeable “off time”.
There is a point when switching from low to high beam that there is no power to either the low or high beam, this is also the case when switching from high to low beam, but it is such a short duration I can’t see it having any effect.:shrug:94[/QUOTE]

yeah fully clicking into High beam (low beams off) It doesnt appear to affect it (HID doesnt flicker or turn off/on). There is a “lag” time before the relay shuts off so that might be why. If i turn off my headlights it stays on for a slight moment afterwards. :shrug:

hey 92db, dont you have to add another diode on the low side wire before the “low>high” diode so current doesnt flow back into the socket? The diode connected to the high and low is actually going left right? Because when you switch to high beam the lows shut off…the diode gets power from the high beam side and brings it to the low beam side am i correct?

for the diode i just went to radioshack and got one that 1amp 600v the diode will have a white/gray stripe and that is the side that goes to the low beam wire. the rest is just like the diagram above. i did mine following this exact and it has worked out great for me. my headlights work just like factory…low beam and high beam. you may be able to buy one off of ebay and just add the diode and then run the wires for highbeam. i don’t think the harness on ebay includes that. but you don’t need a relay for that because with the fx35/45 high beam all your doing is triggering a solenoid. which doesn’t require alot of power and is ok to run off your stock high beam wires. then just tie in the diode to the low beam from the high beam and you should be good to go. you may have to change your plugs out but that is really easy to do also.

our cars our positively switched which means they always have a ground. you are supply the power to the relay. the low beam pulls the switch in the relay to allow current to flow from the battery to the ballasts. so the relay is taking the “hit” on the initial start up of the ballast and not your factory harness. that is why it is recommended to run a relay. and you only need one. i bought my wire from advance and it cost a little over 20 bucks. i made it too long to begin with then had to redo it. so you might be better off just buying one off of ebay and modify it with the extra wires to the solenoids. but definately use a diode if you want to use highbeams and keep working like factory.

[QUOTE=ez12a;1833619]yeah fully clicking into High beam (low beams off) It doesnt appear to affect it (HID doesnt flicker or turn off/on). There is a “lag” time before the relay shuts off so that might be why. If i turn off my headlights it stays on for a slight moment afterwards. :shrug:

hey 92db, dont you have to add another diode on the low side wire before the “low>high” diode so current doesnt flow back into the socket? The diode connected to the high and low is actually going left right? Because when you switch to high beam the lows shut off…the diode gets power from the high beam side and brings it to the low beam side am i correct?[/QUOTE]

i only used one diode in mine. and it works great. mine do not shut off when going to highbeam from lowbeam. i can flash. the diodes are like 99 cents at radioshack. i installed it right were it is in the diagram. and it works great. i wondered the same thing but i got that diagram from one of the wiring gurus off of HIDplanet. i don’t see why you would have to have one. since power comes through that wire anyways. but if you were really worried about it you could and the diodes do come in a pack of two. but i don’t think it is necessary

the diodes are like 99 cents at radioshack

GOOD LORD! 99 cents for a diode? That’s going to be waaaaay over my retrofit project expense :slight_smile: lol

Anyways, thanks a bunch for your help… the diagrams and explanations helped out alot! :rockon:

[QUOTE=hybrid90;1833653]GOOD LORD! 99 cents for a diode? That’s going to be waaaaay over my retrofit project expense :slight_smile: lol

Anyways, thanks a bunch for your help… the diagrams and explanations helped out alot! :rockon:[/QUOTE]

not just for a diode but TWO diodes…lol no problem glad to help