Really WEIRD electric problem...

Ok, so today I took out my headliner and stuff. To do this you have unbolt the dome light and the passenger lights, but not unplug them. So while I’m doing this I was a moron and left the door open (dome light on) for 3-4 hours. So I’m like, crap, my battery might die. But the car started up fine and everything. Here’s what’s weird…

*The clock said 1:00 and started to count upwards. But when I turned on the passenger light, the dome light, or the radio, the clock went off and “door open” light went on (on the dash). But both my doors were shut. Also, the passenger light/dome light did not actually turn on. When I turn it off, the clock comes back on and the “door open” light shuts off. But the clock is back at 1:00. Also, the radio turns on, but the sound doesn’t come on except for a faint whisper if I turn it WAY up.

What could this be? A weak battery? I drove on the highway for like 15 minutes to charge it, but the same thing happened. Could some wires have gotten crossed? I don’t see how, because I never unplugged anything and all I did was take out the headliner.

Somebody help, I’m really confused… :confused: :confused:

:rofl: whew that is funny. I would double check all conenctions. Maybe you hav e a crossed wire or a wire is bare and touching a ground. The door open sensor is located with in the door. The clock is attached to the underdash assembly. I guess you can try a friend’s battery and see if that helps. If not shoot me an e-mail and I’ll send ya the wiring schematics.

Did you screw the dome light back in? Sounds like a grounding problem.

Yeah, I screwed everything back in just as it was. I really don’t think it’s crossed wires, because how would that explain the clock and radio being messed up too? I know I didn’t touch those wires, they’re both behind the dash. And when I do open my door, the door open light comes on just as it should. If the wires were crossed, wouldn’t the passenger light come on instead?

How do I fix a grounding problem?

check your fuses first. i could be wrong but the radio, clock, and dome light are normally on the same fuse.

Originally posted by 92b16teg
check your fuses first. i could be wrong but the radio, clock, and dome light are normally on the same fuse.

Hmm, hood call. Which fuse is it?

not sure, I haven’t ever blown it. I could go look but my teg is sitting back at my place with a damaged #4 hole and my g/f has the other one.

That fuse is a 15 amp fuse and it is closer to the back of the car than the front (inside the fuse box near your hood release handle). If it is blown though the radio wouldnt work or the dome or the clock as I have blown this fuse many times wiring up light and my head unit. I have a fuse in there now theat lights up when its blown so its real easy to see.

kincaidintegra

kincaidintegra

Can you hook me up with those schematics…?
Please!
Ncollini@cinci.rr.com

A couple people have been telling me its a ground wire problem. Could this be? And how would I diagnose and fix this problem?

Check your power cable connection to the battery. I remember that when my connection was corroded (Didn’t notice because of the red cover) I was getting a lot of weird electronic stuff happening – like seatbelts stopping halfway and shifter lights out of sync.

its gonna be a ground somewhere.

honda’s do wierd ****.
im in the middle of stripping my car and i had the dash off and harness down. after i got the brakes redone i started driving it again (with the dash in the trunk).
my wipers would work but not on intermitent. if i turned on the parking lights the whole dash would flicker and the speedo/tach would drop to like half what they were. and… my headlights were great. strong as ever, but only if the car was off. when i started it they dimmed to nothing.

it was all grounds off the dash harness.
which is 1 of the few really bad things honda does. they have grounds all over the damn place. and how a ground behind the dash stops my headlights from working only when its running i will never know…

Ok, so anyone know where the fuse is for the radio, dome light, and passenger light? Maybe I could just pull it and see if it was just an electrical short or something. Could work.

Also, anyone know where the ground wire is on the roof? Cause that’s obviously what I messed up…

Originally posted by G2Integrity
[B]Ok, so anyone know where the fuse is for the radio, dome light, and passenger light? Maybe I could just pull it and see if it was just an electrical short or something. Could work.

Also, anyone know where the ground wire is on the roof? Cause that’s obviously what I messed up… [/B]

the place of the fuse should be drawn out on the fuse box door, located next to the hood release lever. the door is connected to the kick panel… knowing you, you might have taken the kick panel off. but anyway, it tells you where each fuse is. there are even a couple extra ones that come with the car.

Originally posted by Blizzard
[B]

the place of the fuse should be drawn out on the fuse box door, located next to the hood release lever. the door is connected to the kick panel… knowing you, you might have taken the kick panel off. but anyway, it tells you where each fuse is. there are even a couple extra ones that come with the car. [/B]

Hehe, good call. My dad and I took a look at it today and used my Helms manual. Turns out it was a blown fuse. We used the spare fuse and now everything is A-OK. I’m so happy, my car is functional again.:clap: :clap:

Hey G2Integrity, my friend has a 92 Integ and it started to do something similiar to your situation. The clock behaves really strangely, it turns on and off with the radio and flashes with the turn signal, and dims with the interior/dome light. I noticed you fixed your problem by replacing a fuse, do you know which fuse it is? Oh and was the fuse blown or did it just need some replacing? It seems a wire may be crossed somewhere too, i mean everytihng turns on still except the dome light, the car simply started having all these electrical problems at once. Any advice?

It was a 15 amp fuse that was replaced. It was in the lower left dash kick panel. We found all the info we needed in the Helms Manual. But look in the kick panel and see if one of your blue 15 amp fuses is blown. I believe there’s only three. HTH.