relocating radio

i have had my stereo stolen too many times so i was hoping for tips on where to mount it/hide it i’m thinking in the glove box also the large hole in my dash where the radio and ash tray used to be anyone know where i can buy something to block this section off or have tips on how to make one i was thinking of maybe putting some aux gauges in the empty space the best idea i had for the hole was a piece of plexiglass with colored vinyl on it to make a block of plate i figure i can get the plexi glass at home depot for less than 10$ and i have a ton of vinyl anyone attemped either of these the glove box mounted radio or the xtra large block off panel

well, um, you could in fact put it in the glove box, but dont ya think a thief would look there too??? fact being, there arent too many good “hiding” spots to stick a radio, and still have it remain usable/accessable…you could always opt for a better alarm system, if you dont already have one.

Are you using a detachable face radio? That will kinda deter (sp) the thief from wasting his time on just the bare unit. Also, you can use a special nut other than your typical phillips head to bolt the unit in place from the back.

Put three type of special type nuts on the back and bolt the unit down good! And for added security… place a bunch of AIDS infected needles in the back so when the thief reaches around… “WELCOME to the world of AIDS” motherfucker! :rockon: :slight_smile:

does your deck have a removable faceplate? as a preventative measure, you should be removing that, if you aren’t already doing it.

if you have a high end deck/sound system, it would be a better idea to get yourself a security system rather than trying to “hide” your deck.

I have a relatively cheap deck so its not even worth stealing

I like the idea of modding the front plate from the stock radio and putting it over the aftermarket radio.

but yea arnt you removing the face? and are you just putting the face under the seat lol?!!!

[QUOTE=hybrid90;1927755]Are you using a detachable face radio? That will kinda deter (sp) the thief from wasting his time on just the bare unit. Also, you can use a special nut other than your typical phillips head to bolt the unit in place from the back.

Put three type of special type nuts on the back and bolt the unit down good! And for added security… place a bunch of AIDS infected needles in the back so when the thief reaches around… “WELCOME to the world of AIDS” motherfucker! :rockon: :)[/QUOTE]

lmao were can i get some of those needles?:rockon:

Removing the face really does not do much. You can buy the faces off ebay really cheap. Put an alarm with motion sensors and call back feature on it so you know the instant someone is in your car. Also mount it better then just using the mounting slide that comes with the unit. Custom fab something to mount it to the metal bar in the dash so they cant rip it out.

heres where i messed up this time i had the alarm on but left my moonroof open my old car had an alarm and they busted out a window grabbed the alarm and ran the problem i have is when i got the car the guy before me had a in dash tv and it got stolen so everything in the middle section is gone ashtray lighter it’s just one large hole i should have taken the face off but i went in the house to grab something and the car had the alarm on and i was gone 5 min i had the radio mounted poorly due to the hugh hole but at least the guy who stole it left me my wire harness

well u can get a “din” or whatever for the center console relatively cheap here on g2. some members are selling them, i know that i’ve seen some yesterday when i was floating thru the for sale section. some call it a center console piece thing, but its there. u could try a junkyard too if desired.

do the other thing… get bear traps and set them on the floor (inside) of ur car, and also some on the seats… see if those prick ass thieves try stealing ur shit again, and if they do… you’re almost guaranteed that they won’t leave with it unharmed.

ive got face so no ones tried to n waste their time n steal radio…but glovebox is ok place i guess…but id still do non face if ur stiking there…and for big whole id do aux gauges and a old non working cassetteradio so they wont bother stealing it… :slight_smile:

I’ve done both of those. My radio is in the glove box, just to make room for the gauge panel. That car isnt outside much, so not worried about the thieves. They can take the radio, just leave the rest of the car alone.

You could mount the radio recessed in the dash, and make a fake cassette player face kinda like ATL mentioned. Those things cant be more then $5 at the junkyard.

i used to have an 87 mazda 323… i did the whole deck in the glovebox setup, all speakers hidden by grills, never turned it up when i was in shady areas or i was a few blocks away from parking…

…the key though, is that i had a PIECE OF SHIT stereo mounted in the dash…
I’m talking Tapes/am/fm with two huge knobs… I think you should do that… they look in n’ see a garbage (Or stock acura one) they might re-consider

If i were a thief and saw nothing, i’d bet something was hiding…

hmm what do you think about some wires hanging out of where the stock radio should be

thats a little too ghetto… but it does scream “Dude… i’ve already been broken into… there’s nothing left here…”

You know if you are this worried about someone stealing your shit then get a radio that can be pulled out and removed or don’t put one in at all.

Or you could help him with the original question instead of being a dick…

…that would work too…

don’t bolt it in man. i have heard WAY too many stories about that. when you bolt your radio in so nobody gets it, 9 times out of 10 they bust up the dash trying to get it out. just makes more of a mess, and it’s more of a pain in the ass having to replace all that stuff, along with the radio that they either ended up getting out, or destroyed trying to get it out.

if it’s that much of a problem, just be more careful. just use a cheap deck, always remove the faceplate, and be careful about where you park the car. maybe look into a better alarm, like someone mentioned already. one with a callback feature.

[QUOTE=XtReMe98;1929579]Or you could help him with the original question instead of being a dick…

…that would work too…[/QUOTE]

I already did. Learn how to read first then talk to me.

I read your other useless post about putting in an alarm… TOTALLY had everything to do with the original question of mounting a deck in the glove box…

Learn how to help and how to be less of a douchebag THEN hit the reply button…