Replacing Core Support How To

Core Support Replacement
It seems our buddy mike, fellow member of G2MD had some bad luck in the rain. Apparently, coming to a traffic light a woman who had ABS was able to slow down faster then Mike as his teg with no abs locked up and slid into the woman at a very slow but damaging 5 m.p.h. So his front core support was a little bent and banged up. Being as we had a parts car we set out to help him fix it cause he wasn’t exactly rolling around in the cash. Pics from the install are here at :
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2124618534
Enjoy!

thanks tim, gary and chris… the front looks amazing… i give hella thumbsup to these guys for the help they’ve given me. i’ll upload some better pictures while we’re at the meet saturday. :up:

that was badass. I need to do the same thing. i Dont kno how to weld and i dont kno a welder…Is it safe to just bolt it on? Also when removing the old one what type of drillbit do u use to drill out the welds?

It is not safe to just bolt it in cause it takes away from the structural integrity of the support. WE could do it for ya if you wanted to cause we are pretty good with it by now. You will need a very powerful torquey drill and indestructible bits… we have craftsman bits and went through 3

BRinging this back from the dead but dam this is very helpful. doing this project sometime soon.

just saw this post. great work. i need to do the same with mine.

so im getting ready to tackel this project of removing the rad support from the body of my shell. does anyone have a detailed picture of the rad support with all of the spot weld marked on it:cross:

so i got halfway throught this project and in the process of burning off 4 drill bits, I said fuck it

SAWZALL FTMFW

i did manage to get some pics and i marked the welds with the yellow dots for any future DIY’ers out there :up::up:

why didn’t you just buy a spot weld remover? A bit made to remove spot welds but leave enough material behind to weld the new piece onto.

thats a good question. and i most likely will. when i decide to finish it up. and pull the bad one off of the running teg due to the fact it needs to be replaced anyways:salute:

im gonna be doing this project sometime soon… but it looks like the website that was hostin the pictures and “how to” is closed now… could someone repost it or something???

i’ll be doing the same thing too soon.

I figgued i would post these up here for the DIY’er to get a good idea of where the welds are.

where’d you get yours from? i was thinking of OEM but its 3 bills.

acuraoemparts.com is where i get most of my parts.

both pieces cost me about $120, $40 less than what the shop wanted to charged if they got them using god knows what brand of parts.

You could look up, Certifit. they wanted $200 for the whole support.

I lucked out with mine. I found a 92 same color as my 91 and I had them cut 1/4 of the front clip off from before the motor mounts up. I paid $100 for the 1/4 clip, radiator, and a/c condenser. Check your local junkyards before you go aftermarket, you might find a good deal.

keep it durty…

what it do?
i am in the process of replacing the whole core support, i think its going good, the only problem is finding a place localy that has one in stock or can even get one. if not, my last resort, ill need to get a used one.
I am open to any helpful tips, or ideas.

peace…

Perfect, this is just what I needed…although now I need to find someone whom can bring a welder down here to my place lol.

FUCK…link is dead