Roebling Road Track day and NCR Cherry Point Autox w/ my 92' DA9

Here’s a track day vid from Roebling Road Raceway when I was in the intermediate class still (limited passing in certain areas), and an old autox vid from NCR SCCA’s Cherry Point autox site.

Hope you enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoQxe8GK9Zs (Roebling track day)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfOfZwKXk0I (old NCR autox)

I’ve got lots more video, but I have a hell of a time uploading to You-Tube due to the fact that I live in the country and only have a Verizon hotspot for internetz :stuck_out_tongue:

I enjoyed your video a lot - thanks for the share!!

Judging by how active your hands are, your car seems to be very neutral / oversteer prone at the limit? What is your setup, because I struggle to get my DA to be anything but understeer! Is that the OEM steering ratio?

Also, your exhaust sounds a lot better than mine; what’s your setup?

Now that your in the advanced group, have you thought about SCCA time trials?

[QUOTE=hufflepuff;2303635]I enjoyed your video a lot - thanks for the share!!

Judging by how active your hands are, your car seems to be very neutral / oversteer prone at the limit? What is your setup, because I struggle to get my DA to be anything but understeer! Is that the OEM steering ratio?

Also, your exhaust sounds a lot better than mine; what’s your setup?

Now that your in the advanced group, have you thought about SCCA time trials?[/QUOTE]

The car is neutral but I can induce oversteer by lifting. It’s the stock rack (3.5 turns) but I plan to go shorter, close to 2 turns LTL. If you want to be able get the car to rotate you have to get the rear end a good bit stiffer than the front; play with the dampening on the shocks (soft up front, stiff rear for autox, one turn off full stiff up front for the track, rear is always a touch off full stiff) and run more tire pressure in the rear for autox (I run even pressures for the track). Make the front loose and grabby, the rear a stiff box. For example here’s my setup-

Koni Race struts
800lb front spring
900lb rear
Ground Control adjustable perches
s2000 tophats
ST rear sway bar (made brackets to fit the DA)
Prothane bushings (everything except middle front LCA bushings and trailing arm bushings)
Traction bar (Full Race)
Removed the front sway bar*
Quaife LSD

Front: -3 degrees camber, 1 degree toe out, 2 degrees or so positive caster*

Rear: -1 degrees or so camber (you don’t want much if you want the car to turn), 0 toe

Car is raked to the front 5 inches from the pinch weld up front, 6 inches in the rear.

The exhaust is well…a frankenstein. I’ve got a stock header that I bored/cleaned out as much as I could with a sand/bead blaster with a straight pipe where the cat and resonator used to be, to the cat back that is stock w/holes right up until the 2008 Honda Civic Si muffler that exits straight out the passenger side like the DC2’s lol. Not fancy.

I plan on getting something better eventually, was never a priority because I was going to boost the motor in the car (LS built with 9:1 forged pistons, forged rods, pocket ported head, oversized valves, stock cams, etc, etc) and replace the old exhaust with something bigger to go with a turbo manifold and downpipe.

That never happened so I’m still rocking the franken exhaust.

I might do TT soonish, though I might just jump into a wheel to wheel class. Haven’t decided yet; I’ve been trying to find a good class for the DA that isn’t dead and I can be competitive in (I.E not open class) STL looks nice but not a whole lot of attendance. I would do ITA but I really don’t want to put back in my power steering system, my washer fluid reservoir, etc. Or I might buy an open wheel car or someone’s old closed wheel car. My options are open. I do need to look at NASA and see what they have aside from Honda Challenge (which doesn’t have good attendance in the Southeast either).

I do know that I’d like to go to Lincoln for Nationals in a few years, not with the DA, but with another Honda I’m building.

*Also, in good conscience I do have to caution you I’m having a run of axle failures at the road course (not autox or street) due to my setup I think, though it’s debatable if its the axles. Just warning you if you apply anything here. Here’s the details http://forums.g2ic.com/showthread.php?216655-The-mystery-of-the-quot-exploding-axle-quot-AKA-I-ve-destroyed-four-axles-in-a-row