Seized transmission filler plug!!

I went to flush my transmission today and made the biggest mistake by stripping the filler plug to the transmission. I drained all the oil and forgot that you should always remove the filler plug first then the drain bolt. Has any one been in this situation or know some one that has gotten in the same situation? Vise grips just round it off more and I can’t seem to find the speed sensor where every one claims you can also fill thru. I’m stuck on this one and need to get my car out the body shop. I have a manual transmission also. Thx in advance!

The speed sensor is over by the starter close to the firewall. Its got the speed cable on top of it and a 10mm bolt and a lock key on it. Now to get the plug out would be to heat it up or drill it out.

i wouldn’t drill it out if i were you. the shavings will get inside the transmission and could cause damage.
you’re at a body shop. they should have a mig welder. weld a nut to the end of the plug, then use a socket/ratchet.
just be sure both welding surfaces are properly cleaned to ensure a good solid weld. use sandpaper to clean the metal

[QUOTE=welfare;2189839]i wouldn’t drill it out if i were you. the shavings will get inside the transmission and could cause damage.
you’re at a body shop. they should have a mig welder. weld a nut to the end of the plug, then use a socket/ratchet.
just be sure both welding surfaces are properly cleaned to ensure a good solid weld. use sandpaper to clean the metal[/QUOTE]
Not a bad idea welfare. I have to agree with him on this.

lol. i do get 1 or 2 from time to time.
i’m not sure of the composite on those filler plugs though. i think a lot of times fill and drain plugs use a soft heavy metal like lead. one of the reasons they tend to strip. i don’t know much on metallurgy and whether the steel nut will take to the filler plug with a mig, but you really don’t have much to lose i guess

what you want to do though is clean the top of the filler plug. place the nut over it. tack it through the nut hole, then fill that hole with weld

Well if it don’t work,put grease on the plug and drill a small hole to put an extractor in it. The grease helps hold the shavings so they don’t end up inside the housing.

Yeah your best bet is fill it up tru the speed sensor port. Vise grip is your only way now to get that off, put some wd-40 a couple hours before going to remove the plug which heat up with a propane torch. Slowly circle around the treads with the torch for no more then 20 to 30 seconds depending on how cold it is by you (remember to be careful not to heat it up like you would suspension parts now)

The body shop guy did speak of welding on a nut to it but was kinda hesitant because of the aluminum casing of the transmission. I thought about using a extractor but don’t want shavings in my oil. I tried to do th speed sensor trick but had no clue on what I was doing because I found o tubes by that cable on top of the tranny and poured it in 1 of the tube hole and that oil went no where. The snow storm cut hings short so the body shop man is going to ask his mechanic friend next door to come over and look at it. Hopefully they get it out between the both of them so I can take my car home. I really like the ideas said and will suggest some more to him.

All them hoses are are to lube the gear inside the sensor. Its power steering fluid,there is an inlet and outlet,just take the hoses off and replace after filling.

http://forums.g2ic.com/showthread.php?206978-In-middle-of-Swap-General-removal-question(s). Just a quick find, the first picture in his thread is the speed sensor. Thanks shocker85 for the picture

Yes that’s it! I got the 10mm bolt out but its stuck in there. I will try the wd-40 and try to pry it off if all else fails.

Just twist it a little,it should pull right out.

Just use some muscle and yank that thing out!