Small office wireless network using public internet

The office that I work in uses a public wireless network (in my college campus) to gain access to internet, as well as a wired network that one can access using the ethernet port.

My coworkers want to be able to print stuff wirelessly. We have a non wireless printer (Samsung cp325) connected to a main computer that stays on pretty much all the time.

So my plan is to obtain a wireless router, connect the router to the ethernet port to give it access to the campus wired network, and connect the router to the computer with the printer. Then I’ll make a shared network with the computer and all the other laptops. I’ll set up the router with password access so not everyone can access the network, and I’ll add the printer that’s connected to the main computer into the shared network, so now everyone in the network can print stuff wirelessly.

I’m pretty sure that it will work. I just want to confirm that it will work.

well… the issue you may run into with that configuration is running the router behind the campus router.

you would need details on the campus static IP addresses. it isn’t as simple as just plugging a router and going. you need to configure the router to use and IP address that is on the campus subnet, then make sure you have the same subnet mask, and last know their default gateway.

if you can get them to share those details then you should be good to go. More often than not though the Admins will deny you that info as if it fell into dubious hands you just handed hackers the keys to the palace.

Most newer wireless printers can be connected to the wireless network, and in turn be found wirelessly by any client with the correct drivers. I have set up several different models of laser and inkjet style printers on a corporate network and allowed computers to connect wirelessly using the included software.

Guess that plan is a dud.

Plan B:
What if I just forego internet access (coworkers will now connect to the internet like they did before, wirelessly) and just use the router to create a wireless LAN connecting the laptops with the computer with the printer. The laptops would have the right driver, and thus it will be able to use the printer. (The laptops will be connected to the internet and the wireless lan network at the same time, is that possible?)

I got the idea from here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/23745-43-wireless-access

This is the router that I plan on using:
http://www.trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?status=view&prod=165_TEW-432BRP

I wonder if it will work. If so, how would I go about doing it?

Again djachtyler, thanks for your help.

i was gonna say, i work at a uni IT and at least at my work and at my previous employer they dont take too kindly with people setting up unauthorized WAPs. (In the end all access is accounted for though).

in the end, it might be better to just purchase a networked printer, as they’re relatively cheap. Ask the dept head for funds? If that many people are printing to a USB only printer my guess is that printer is not meant for that type of volume. We run several LaserJet 2025n/dn for small workgroups, either as direct IP printers or off a print server.

At my work, people on wireless despite its firewall and being on an entirely different network can still print to these wired LAN printers.

Can you ping the computer acting as print server from your school’s public wireless? If so, you might be able to set up wireless printing.

what i type might not make much sense. I’m running on fumes. Lunch time!

No worries bud.

If ya have a high number of folks printing, ez is right. it’d be easier to get a wirelessly networked printer. I’d recommend getting either the department to pony up or take up a collection to get funds for a laser type. it will handle volume printing better. an ink jet style is cheaper out of the box, but with large numbers of users printing you are gonna be spending what you saved initially on the unit on ink instead.

plan B could work, you would just have to jump off the normal wifi network and onto the local wifi network to print. Honestly though that is very redundant way of doing it. and if you have documents you are trying to pull off the internet to print, you may lose connectivity and create alot of extra work.

I say get something like this “Brother” printer. it is similar to one I deployed in my corporate office & all one needs to do to connect after you set up initial wireless settings by USB or network, is to run the install disk and select what sort of connection you want to use.

Super simple to set up :slight_smile:

yeah its hard because we dont know what kind of network setup is being run over there.

at my uni, all devices are either given a static IP, or can be issued a DHCP IP if they register their MAC address(es) with their ID. There also is no NAT, all of our wired computers receive public IP addresses (yay for being government). I have a public DNS registration that resolves to my actual computer’s IP.

Wireless is “open”, but again, the MAC Registration allows them to access a nearly open internet/network that can also access campus servers/resources. If MAC is not registered, they are forced through a portal and can get “guest” access on the same wireless SSID but are severely limited (IMAP, POP, MAPI for example, do not work). IPs issued for registered wireless clients are on the 169 network (wired registered clients are 128). Communication is possible between the wired and wireless clients.

I’d imagine the setup at the OP’s school is similar if there is only one “public” wireless network.

If the OP can ping the wired computer with the printer attached to it from a computer on the existing wireless network, that should give you an indication there is a network path, making it possible to print to a wired printer, wirelessly. OP might just be overcomplicating things.

ex: i’m connected to my wired LAN printer on the 128 network and i’m on the wireless 169 network with my macbook. No problems printing wirelessly.

I guess going the wireless printer route would be ideal then. I’ll ask my prof if he’s willing to purchase a new wireless printer, and put the expenses under research.

Again, thanks for the help, ez12a and djzachtyler.

Update:
At first, due to the department head rejecting the offer to buy a new wireless printer, I had to use dropbox eprint vbs script (http://www.labnol.org/internet/print-from-mobile-phones/17827/). It worked for a while until multiple copies of the same document kept printing continuously. I reported the glitch to the developer, but I have yet to receive a response.

Recently though, the toner cylinder needed to be replaced, so instead of spending $100 to do that, the department head agreed to purchase a wireless printer.
(Brother MFC-J430-the ink is really cheap).
However, I asked the IT staff at my university about setting up the wireless printer, and they said that I am not allowed to install a wireless printer over the network (which was initially why the lab had a non wireless Samsung CLP-325, even though a wireless version was available).

I’m thinking of setting up a PAN network using Bluetooth, and sharing the printer through that network. Basically, the printer will be wired to a desktop computer. The desktop with the attached printer will have a bluetooth dongle. The laptops already have bluetooth capability.
The laptops will connect to the desktop computer, and thus will have access to the connected printer.

I need to know the following:

• Will this work?
  • Will users be able to connect to the bluetooth network and the campus wifi simultaneously?

I will be using these guidelines for setting up the network:
http://www.virgindigitalhelp.co.uk/answers/a/040934807381398/Connect-two-computers-using-Personal-Area-Network-in-Windows-XP
http://www.ehow.com/how_4855968_set-up-bluetooth-network.html
http://www.tomstricks.com/how-to-setting-up-a-bluetooth-personal-area-network-pan-in-windows-vista/

Probably off base but the I scored at Costco has an online print server that you can access via email iirc. Might be easier? Maybe brother offers the same service?

That might work- but it won’t allow the user to print certain pages of a document- they can only print whole documents. My coworkers had a problem with that while using the Dropbox print queue.

Nonetheless, that is a really cool printer function. Thanks.

not all laptops come with BT modules FYI… some do, some don’t as it is an add on feature ( kinda like NAV in a new car lol)

you could always set the printer up in Wireless Ad-Hoc mode meaning it alone would allow multiple connections and act as it’s own broadcast point… tyhen all users only need to install the drive and connect to the printer… that would be the easiest way to set it up.

if you did try the BT route, you would need to install the printer on the desktop, then enable sharing and create a share name for the device.

then the connection to the desktop is an ad-hoc setup allowing users to connect to file & print services on the DT mentioned.

Either way will work for you… the first method would be the easiest tho IMHO

Will users be able to connect to the ad-hoc printer network and the campus wifi simultaneously, or will they have to disconnect from campus network in order to send jobs to the printer?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2673657?start=0&tstart=0
Here they say that one cannot connect to multiple wireless networks simultaneously, although they can connect to 1 bluetooth and 1 wifi network simultaneously.

All the “public” laptops in our lab have bluetooth modules. As for those without modules, they’ll use a bluetooth USB dongle- 99 cents on Ebay (10 meter range, which is perfect for this application).

If simultaneous connections can be made to the adhoc printer network and the campus wifi, I would definitely go that route.

I’ve never tried that kind of arrangement, but a bluetooth enabled printer should work i would think (with client PCs connected to wifi and bluetooth simultaneously)…not sure about a computer acting as print server over bluetooth though.

True. Unfortunately, there are no bluetooth capable printers with cheap ink.

I went with the Brother MFC J430 because it takes LC71/LC75 ink. On ebay, you can buy this ink for $1.80 per black cartridge ($1.00 for all 4 colors). I’ve been using this ink on my MFC-J425 for a year without any issues.

These threads indicate that it should work.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=927877
http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/78515-share-internet-via-bluetooth.html

Before buying the printer, I’ll bring over my own printer to work and test everything out with the bluetooth laptops. I’ll also try out the ad-hoc and see how that works.

Thanks again, djzachtyler and ez12a.

Alright, so the preliminary setup for the Bluetooth wireless printing is done. It works well. Here’s how everything works:

• The computers will be connected by Bluetooth (either built in or through Bluetooth adapters- I already purchased 2 adapters for $8 each, I’ll buy another 10 for $0.99 each). For computers that need the adapters, the adapters cannot be switched around. Every time a new adapter is used on a computer, everything needs to be reconfigured.

• There is an initial setup that requires changing of the workgroup, reconfiguring IP addresses, as well as installing the printer drivers. I got the procedure down pat for windows computers. I still need to figure out how to setup the Macbooks. It should be easy though.

After the setup, subsequent connections from the laptop to the desktop and printer will be easy and quick.

• Hook up the Bluetooth adapter to your laptop
  • Wait a few seconds for adapter drivers to install
  • Double click on Bluetooth icon on bottom right corner of task bar (Windows)
  • Right click the computer you want to connect to (the main computer in this case), and click connect.

I need to run a few more tests, this time with multiple computers accessing the Bluetooth network simultaneously in order to print. Data transfer rate and overall reliability of the setup will be determined.

I guess its now safe to buy the Brother MFCJ430. Even if this setup doesn’t work, I can set up adhoc mode for the printer. Users will have to disconnect from the campus internet in order to print though. Unless I figure out how to get this to work: http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/projects/virtualwifi/

If any of you is interested in learning more about this setup, feel free to PM me.

You know, if ink price is keeping you from buying a more capable printer, you should look into a continuous ink system. There is some initial investment but the ink will be cheaper in the long run.

That or you can buy ink refills.

Hmm, CIS- that looks like a pretty neat system. They go for about $80 for the Canon Bluetooth printers. I’ll let my prof know about that option. Refills would also work, but I never had any good experiences with them, probably because I never knew how to refill them properly.

Thanks for the info, gilcontr.

DIY refills = crap + mess = not worth it lol

also non OEM ink cartridges for any printer are a hit or miss affair with more being a miss as they tend to drain faster or have crappier print quality.

CIS = win in a high print environment if ya can’t spring 100 bucks on a cheap brother laser printer ( they last a god long while per toner drum)

Lol, I can attest to the longevity of the Brother laser printer.
We have 3 brother B/W laser printers at home. They definitely last a while, but when the cartridges are finished, you’d might as well buy a new $100 printer (which we did), as the OEM cartridge + cylinder costs about that much (in the case of the Brother HL-2140), and the aftermarket cartridges are just plain horrible. FYI- don’t forget to tape over the toner sensor on the side of the cartridge in order to prolong toner life even further.

I have yet to have a miss with the $1.70 LC-75s. Their design is strictly mechanical, so no chips- which tend to be the main defect with other aftermarket ink cartridges (HP, Canon, etc.). I’ve been using my Brother MFCJ425 for almost a year with only the cheapest aftermarket cartridges I can find on Ebay.

I did a cost analysis on the MFCJ425 setup, and it works roughly to 1 cent a page, if you were to buy 5000 blank sheets of paper for $33. The printer itself is about $70 when on sale.