So what exactly do out-of-adjustment valves sound like?

I’m pretty sure my valves need to be readjusted. Never had to deal with it on a B-series before, just my mom’s crappy Chrysler minivan.

The teg kind of sounds like this I dunno, sand-paper-ish noise. Or maybe like brushing teeth. Basically it sounds similar to scraping. I take it this mean my valves need adjusting.

I dunno, mine I know need adjusting, and my car makes a kinda muffled clicking sound when running, not really a sandpaper/brushing teeth noise, but it couldn’t hurt to check and adjust your valves, maybe I’m just imagining the sounds differently.

Out of specs valve clearance would
give you random ticking sound.
Example-
Tick,tick,…tick,tick,tick…tick,tick…

Kinda silly question, but and engine in need of a valve job would be getting bad gas mileage right? My mileage has been dropping off over the past couple weeks. Went from about 340 a tank to around 305 now. And the other day I was standing next to my car and for some reason the ticking sound of some bad valves caught my ear. Its been a long time since my last tune up and I’m pretty sure my engine could use a valve job.

Does all that sound right to you guys?

-Steve

yep mine be a tickin too. and my friends. and my other friends. and his friends heh

Mine are going tick tick tick as well, gonna have my friend help me adjust them when we have time.

It will sound like tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick… at least thats what mine sounded like. It went away after I adjusted the valve clearances. Engine was so smooth and quiet. But 2-3 months later it was ticking again.

hm why is that? what can you do to prevent it from happening so soon. also, does this affect anything else besides sound?

The injectors also make a ticking noise- When the engine is cold, you will have a lot of valve noise… you will notice it from startup for a minute or so… it gets quieter as the engine warms up… if it is the same as the engine warms up, get 'em adjusted. Just remember, tight valves can be worse… you can burn your valves that way.

Teg90RS: reason why the locking nut became un-adjusted again is because maybe you didn’t torque the locking nut to the right torque spec? Juss an idea.

so do vavles just simply get out-of-synch over time? Or does it have to do w/ how hard you drive, too?

I’ve NEVER heard any sort of ticking sound from my engine before… I keep it top-notch as far as maintenence, but never adjusted the valves before… at least not in the last 2 years…

do I really need them adjusted if there’s no noise… ??

OK GUYS…our teg injectors make ticking noises. If you don’t believe me, take a LONG screwdriver, put ur earlobe right on it, and probe along the valve cover. then on the injectors. The injectors will come out the largest.

Loud valves just sound like a million clattering noises. They tick too, but not as loud as injectors.

How often should the valves be adjusted?

If you want to know what the noise sounds like listen to a early '90s Nissan Maxima, they all have valve tick.

Actually, my injectors don’t click. but some people’s do. Weird, huh.

Most of the time, people’s valves are ticking the most. And yes Valves do become out of spec overtime, from wear and tear to basically juss the adjusting screw turned from such a long period of driving, (9+ years). It’s an easy do-it-yourself job. Juss read the the teg tips. WARNING VTEC heads are muuuuch harder to adjust than the non-vtec heads.

hehe i thought it were my injectors when i finished rebuilding my head, was gonna fork out 200 for sum RC engineering ones, then i decided, wat the heck do a valve adjustment again, maybe i screwed up. Luckily it was because i screwed up that made such bad ticks…

so max… are the only options for the ticking fuel injectors, cleaning the system or replacing the fuel injectors? all the posts ive searched says the same thing… not relaly going anywhere unless i actuallly bring it to a mechanic… it sbeen almost a year since my last valve adjustment but i also believe the injectors may be the culprit…